SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fignut

Florea and Other Superhardy Figs

fignut
17 years ago

In the post, Cuttings progress..., Herman mentioned what appears to be a super hardy fig that he had named Florea.

"It is called Florea.

I do not have it anymore because i did not like the taste as grown here.

But is growing strong in USA with no winter protection at all here in New Jersey and no die back ever for the seven years it was planted in the grownd."

Herman, would you - or anyone out there - know where I can get this fig?

Another apparent super hardy fig was mentioned by Marylandmojo in the post, Freezing roots, in January/07:

"It's pretty common knowledge that Figs will generally grow back from the roots when tops are Winter-killed--but what about a Fig that never has a bud-tip killed, at overnight temperatures down to -10 degrees F (-23 C)?? That appears hardy as an Oak tree, in that it has never lost a bud-tip in my zone 7a climate, no matter the temperature that has occurred, in the last 100 years that it's been inground? That is situated fully exposed, whith no structure around at all? That produces a huge crop of Figs every season, no matter how cold the previous Winter? "

Mojo, If you are able to aquire this fig, I'd greatly appreciate a piece.

If anyone else has any other unusually hardy figs, please let me know.

I don't have much to trade at this point, but would be glad to discuss compensation. Thanks.

Comments (14)