SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madishartte

Vine for South-facing House Wall

Madis Hartte
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

(I initially placed this in the Vine forum, and was directed here.)

Hello,

My husband and I just recently moved into a rental home that has a completely open, non shaded south wall, about 15 feet long. There is full sun from 10 AM until sun set. We live in Northern California (zone 9) and get very hot summers. I would like to use some vines to shade the wall from the summer heat, but have constraints as to which vines I can use.

• must withstand 100 degree heat (the average from June through August)
  • must be in a container
  • concerned about how invasive most fast growing plants are, like morning glories, cardinal climbers, and honeysuckle

The vine would be trained on a string trellis across the wall.

I'm considering jasmine, which does really well in our climate, but I am concerned it will not grow quickly enough for our purposes (i.e. next summer), and will be too heavy for the trellis I have in mind.

I love both Morning Glories and Cardinal Climbers, and already have seeds for both stored in the fridge. Just worried we will get too many seedlings the following year and have a very unhappy landlord. Fully prepared to plant multiple plants across the wall to get the needed coverage.

I'm also eyeing the Snail vine and Queen's Wreath.

There is gravel up the wall, so there isn't any concern about killing any preexisting groundcover. I am considering a drip system or making "wells" with a plastic bottle to help with the watering.

Any thoughts?

Comments (6)