SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neekatave

How to shade a south facing wall?

neekatave
16 years ago

I'm getting ready to clean up a former construction staging area of my house, affectionately known as "The Alley," now that most of our remodeling is done. It's seven feet wide from my foundation to a six-foot-high block wall at the property line, and about 40 feet long. It's on the south side of the house, and I'd like to shade the wall of the house in the summer and also add more privacy than the block wall provides. I'm still going to need to walk around back there and move wheelbarrows, trash cans, and so on.

So, I need something at least as tall as my house (15 to 20 feet) that won't start spreading until it's taller than me (or that can be shaped that way if it won't do it by itself) and that can be planted fairly close to a block wall (say 2 to 3 feet) with out busting it apart with its roots. I'd rather have a closely planted row of trees with a narrow canopy. The good news is that my only concerns here are geometric, and any other features, like flowers, fragrance, wildlife attraction, etc., are bonuses.

People around here (Southern California/San Fernando Valley) seem to like those purple plum trees. I also thought about erecting a big trellis just in front of the block wall and training something up it, but I'm afraid it will look like a giant backstop. In case you can't guess, I'm new at this, but I've got time to educate myself and I'm willing to put in extra labor in order to make The Alley work.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments (2)