SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leighann_dorough

Rental with no gutters - ground cover for bed receiving roof drainage

Leighann Dorough
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am in the deep south in Georgia, zone 8b, and currently living in a rental. We have no gutters (and our landlord will not be adding any, I can promise) and have a problem area. There is a small bed in front of our home between the front porch (concrete slab) and the walkway. This area, despite my attempts to keep it cleaned up and looking nice has been an eternal source of eye sores, muscle soreness, and headache. There were 3 smal hedge bushes planted, now 2 as I am in the process of digging them up. Nut grass and other weeds have taken over. I completely weeded and cleaned out then laid down weed barrier and added several additional bags of egg rocks last spring but to no avail. The water running off the roof displaces the rocks and weed barrier, throws dirt on top of rocks thus giving area for weeds to grow. nut grass and weeds have grown all up in and through the hedge bushes as well and they no longer will even grow well or look healthy so I decided to get rid of them. I am looking for some hardy ground cover solutions that will be able to withstand the heavy rain drainage from our roof... and I had planned to dig up and remove all the rock but from what I am reading it's actually best to leave it for better water drainage? I just want something that looks nice and can be fairly easily maintained and will resist the weeds. I am willing to do the work but cost wise it also needs to be pretty budget friendly. I have tried looking things up but I get the idea I don't really know the correct words to use to get the info I need. Any suggestions and info are appreciated!

Comments (7)