SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_12422

In-ground garden beds possible?

jeff_12422
10 years ago

We have a LOT of mesquite and acacia trees in our neighborhood, which are protected by the HOA (can't cut down/remove any native plants, and we really don't want to, b/c they provide some shade) but their placement on and around our property means that the roots interfere with any location we possibly have to put in a garden.

We built a small raised bed where we thought we'd put in the garden, and it did OK for the first season or two, then went south. Couldn't figure out if it was the water supply, etc. Then I dug it all up and found that the neighbor's mesquite tree (whose branches overhang the bed) has roots coming up through the hardware cloth in the bottom of the bed and they basically filled the entire garden bed and sucked all the water away from the veggies.

There are two trees on that end of the yard, one in the middle of the yard, and an acacia growing on the other end where the chicken coop is going to be. So they'll need that for shade (nevermind that chickens + in-ground beds = no food for us).

Any suggestions on how to go about this? I wouldn't mind container gardening but with as many as we'd need, it would look horrible. I'm talking about food production, not just a 4 x 12 garden bed.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting