SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Anyone foster older kids?

Kathsgrdn
7 years ago

I'm thinking about doing this after my foreign exchange students leave at the end of the school year. Been reading up on it and had an appointment to talk to a representative from KVC today. His car broke down and he had to cancel. Wondering if anyone has ever done this?

I have been taking in exchange students for a few years now. Have 2 this year, but got to thinking about what I am doing after I found out that their parents paid $20,000 for them to come here for the school year. That just blows my mind. I knew it was expensive but never asked the question. Thought it was $5000 or $6000 maybe, pay for plane tickets and admin fees...nope...$20,000 and not a dime of that goes to the host parents. We do this for free. I began to wonder if I should be helping less fortunate kids, instead of rich kids who come to my house with the newest I-phone, who have had maids in their homes back home, etc...not all of them. Two of the kids I had got scholarships to come here, but all the others their parents have a lot of money.

I would have to foster older kids, pre-teen and up. My daughter is all for it, says those are the kids who are harder to place, everyone wants babies.

Comments (14)