SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassandra_wright68

What to do as Katsura matures

Hello! I've never posted here before but am hoping to find help with a little problem area.
We bought a 20s brick colonial about six months ago and I've been mulling over changes to the well established landscaping. The far corner of the back yard abuts an alley and it's not the loveliest. There was recently an old clump of river birch in this corner that apparently died and was cut down shortly before we moved in and now the area just looks stark.

I'm considering a baby "Tidal Wave" weeping Katsura from Plant Delights for its form. I can't stand weeping trees if they're grafted high into a "lollipop" form but mature weeping cherries on their own roots and some weeping beeches (specifically when they're wide and spreading).

Anyway, I'm wondering how I should landscape around the Katsura during it's awkward youth. Considering a triangular bed that cuts from the boxwoods to the right in the photos over to the fence. I'm particularly wondering what to do with the dead space "behind" the tree if I plant it in the center of my triangle.

Design wise I favor "good taste gardening" as in Penelope Hobhouse-esque gentility. No prairie plants please so coneflowers, daylilies and grasses are out. I love Siberian iris, roses and foliage plants. Area gets full sun and we are in Zone 6b.

Comments (6)