SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsabinarylife

Landmark shingles colour advice needed

itsabinarylife
7 years ago

We are going with landmark shingles and can't decide on the shingle colour. We have red bricks as well as a beige natural stone facade. The front and garage door are black. The current roof is a greyish brown. The home is in Ontario Canada so we get both our share of winter snow and summer heat.

The roofer recommended driftwood only to stay close to the colour we have. However we are considering colonial slate or moire black. Will colonial slate be too busy (pictures online seem to suggest a dark and light alternating pattern)? I also see some red specks in colonial slate which may go well with our red brick but don't know. The moire black seems like it will pop but I am concerned at the home getting too hot during the summer (although only slightly more than colonial slate I'm sure).

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Comments (21)

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

If the house is insulated, black will not affect the heat in the house.

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So would you recommend moire black?

• Related Discussions

Roof Certainteed Landmark Designer Shingle Color

Q

Comments (3)
    I would definately not remove the shutters, they give your home character! As for the shingle colour, I wish I could be of some help, my DH and I keep going back and forth on colours, it's ridiculous! We've decided black is just TOO black, so it won't work! I'm waiting from our roofer to get sample boards of: Max Def Georgetown Gray Max Def Colonial Grey we have driftwood, and next to our greige looking stone (it's a combination of grey and pinkish brick) it looks too brown, moire black looks like tar paper, and regular georgetown grey is really green looking (and it's my FAVOURITE of their shingles, so nice in person, on the right house!)! My suggestion, is get more sample boards, it's a HUGE investment! BUT having said all that, our houses look completely different! so my experience with certain shingles, won't be the same as yours!
    ...See More

Need Help Selecting Landmark Pro Roof

Q

Comments (3)
    We went with the Pro Moire black too, my builder loves the color. Nothing jumps out as busy. Took me forever to decide too, but happy with our decision. Pictures on Instagram #HillsideHaven
    ...See More

Roofing company used wrong shingles- advice on paint color

Q

Comments (7)
    I can’t get the photo load so made a new post here https://www.houzz.com/discussions/roofing-company-used-wrong-shingle-need-help-picking-paint-color-dsvw-vd~5674666
    ...See More

Need Help with CertainTeed Landmark Shingle Colors!

Q

Comments (4)
    My roofing contractor brought full sized shingles for me to choose from. I could stand them up or lay flat next to the brick and look at different times of the day. It was immediately apparent the two greys I was considering were wrong (Cobblestone and Georgetown) and the Weathered Wood was the right choice for me.
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Can't recommend anything. It's such a personal choice of taste. My own choice would be the moire black and possibly the Max Def Moire Black. I like black with brick.

I don't think the slate would look good at all as it is cool because of the gray while the brick an stone appear to be warm, unless it is the photo.

• User
    7 years ago

I think black would be too harsh. Two tone mid grey would look fabulous imo.

• User
    7 years ago

Has the installer given you a list of other jobs they've done with the same type of shingle so you can see how they look installed?

We have Certainteed and I believe those same shingles on our roof. We originally wanted to go with the moire as well but once we saw it installed, it was way too dark and stark.

Instead we went with Weatherwood which was a good compromise between the moire and a medium gray.

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any thoughts on the colonial slate? That is the one we are leaning towards but the roofer can't point us to any roofs they've done with this. Is it too busy? Would the colour go with our red and beige bricks (I've seen some red specks on colonial slate and wondering if that will complement our red or maybe it's so subtle it doesn't make a difference).

Advice and feedback is much appreciated!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I have weathered wood and like it.

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. So our choices are either:

1. Colonial Slate - so far I've heard from a couple of folks this will look good against the red brick and beige natural stone we have. I've seen pictures online and there appears to be quite a two-tone going with this and prefer a single tone look. Is Colonial Slate essentially a very dark grey?

2. Moire Black - the only concern I have is will it be TOO dark but I've seen a few homes on the street with black/dark roofs (not necessarily Moire Black though) against a red brick and it looks quite nice. In particular my house has red bricks and beige/natural stones so hard to pick one roof colour that ties it all together. One other positive I see with Moire Black is that it is more one-tone than colonial.

3. Driftwood or Weatherwood - I believe both are on the brownish side which is wwhat we currently have but I feel there may be too many colours showing up (brown, grey, black) and I'm not crazy about a mosaic look on the roof.

The challenge I have is my roofer is fairly small and a bit "rough around the edges" so things like aesthetics, showing larger samples, etc. aren't exactly his strong suits...he would much rather I pick a colour and he'll show up with the crew for the install. I've asked him for home addresses where he has these colours installed but not holding out for much from his in this regard!

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

We're currently building and used the Moire Black. As for heat gain, Tibbrix is correct that living space in an insulated house will not gain more heat with a dark roof. Beyond that, even the attic space will not gain more heat with a dark roof. Sun beating down on a Driftwood roof on an 85 degree day will raise the temp in the attic to about 120 degrees f - and it will be the same with a black roof. What you need then is good insulation between your living space and your attic space.

• User
    7 years ago

DLM is right, good insulation and enough air vents on your roof. We just added 4 more to ours.

• User
    7 years ago

I was a little freaked by the combination of the colors on the Weatherwood/Driftwood myself, however when it's up, it it doesn't show, from the ground, our roof looks gray. It is really important that the installer provide you with a list a of jobs that have the shingles you are considering. I would actually be concerned if he didn't for a number of reasons.. Here is the Weatherwood / Driftwood on our house. We live on a hill so it's hard to photo and we don't have brick but you can see the color differences are subtle and blends in, it doesn't have a mosaic look at all. One's in some sun and the other in shade

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just had the Colonial Slate shingles delivered. I like the dark grey and the specks of red. However I noticed the other half has quite a lot of white specks in it. Not sure how it will look when up on the roof, hoping it will be primarily dark grey but not sure how the white will show...confused!

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

If your roofer can't provide addresses with roof colors for you to see, you could try calling the shingle manufacturer. My roofer contacted the manufacturer to get addresses for me when I was interested in a type of shingle for which they didn't have any example houses.

• User
    7 years ago

Of course your going to see all the individual colors when you're standing right on top of it, but once it's up, the colors will blend and have the end result you're looking for. From the street or even your front yard, it will be very pretty.

ETA:. You were repeatedly encouraged to look at samples of other jobs your roofer has done, I hope you were able to do that, if not, you really might want to take heed to CRL_'s advise.

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I didn't get an opportunity to look at homes with Colonial Slate. I admit, this was a poor choice on my part. The roofer didn't have any addresses in the vicinity and I emailed Certainteed but never heard from them. The roofer didn't have many install dates available so I had to give him a colour to proceed. Now the Colonial Slate is here I'm wondering about the amount of white/light grey in the shingles but I think you're right that it will look much different when it's on the roof and viewed from the ground at an angle. Plus it's raining today and the white on some of the shingles that are damp have taken on a duller grey colour.

My concern with Colonial Slate is mainly around the pattern being an overtly dark/light ("mosaic") pattern appearing on the roof. I would prefer a more consistent darker look but I guess I'll find out once it gets installed in a couple of days...too late to go looking at homes now and arguing with the roofer to change the shingles he's already delivered! The other frustrating piece is that when you search for Colonial Slate online, you find very different pictures from homeowners claiming they have Colonial slate (some look like exactly what I'm looking for including the Certainteed website and roof visual tool they have, other homeowners are showing a dark/light mosaic look).

Thanks everyone, I'll plan to post pictures once the shingles are up on the roof...here's hoping Colonial Slate doesn't disappoint!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

See if roofer will take back Colonial Slate and exchange it. My roof is Driftwood 3-dimensional shingles and I love it.

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Anglophilia your house and roof look beautiful. I don't see a need to exchange colonial slate just yet, I'm quite certain it will be good, just couldn't understand why there was so much silver grey/white in the shingle but I'm hopeful from the ground the colours will blend in.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Be sure you're there when the roofing is going up with the understanding that after a small section is done you can call a halt if you don't like it. My experience with the mid and lighter gray roofs is that they often read blue.

• itsabinarylife
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, sharing pictures of colonial slate after four years of install as someone was looking for feedback. Overall we are fine with it although it has hints of green that I’m not crazy about (mostly visible when it’s overcast, can’t see it on a sunny day, see pictures).

• Toni Lock
    3 years ago

I think it looks great! We just got the same roof and for some reason, it looks a lot lighter than yours. I also looked at a house in our area the same roofer we have did in the same color. It looks different on their house. I wonder if there are different dye lots? Right now, I'm "getting used to it." Our old roof was a lot darker so I'm adjusting. I don't hate it but I don't love it yet.