SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ike_stewart

In ground citrus issue

Ike Stewart
7 years ago

I have a mature in ground Satsuma growing in zone 8b in Louisiana, it is the smallest of my 3 mature Satsuma which are all over 20 years old, this one is only about 7 ft tall and about 10 ft wide (less than half the size of the others) It was planted in a less than ideal location, less sheltered than the others, and in soil that does not drain as well. There was another fruit tree (non citrus) planted next to it (6-8 ft trunk to trunk) which died last winter and has since been cut down. I have been trying to keep the Satsuma well fertilized this year, and things were going well up until about the 1st of August. Now the leaves are looking pale, which I assume may be nitrogen deficiency due to the roots of the other tree rotting. We have also received a lot of rain in the last 5 or 6 weeks, as you may have seen on the national news, and the ground has been saturated with water and just started drying out the last few days. Today I added bloodmeal around the tree as a fast acting nitrogen source in hopes it is a nitrogen issue. I was not able to get photos of the leaves today before rain started again this afternoon.

Any thoughts you might have would be most welcome.

Comments (4)