SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theniceguy

Can citrus in pots grow just as well as in the ground?

theniceguy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all. I'm trying to decide how to plan my gardening for the future. I live in kind of a "borderline "area for citrus. Mandarin and Yuzu can do OK if they're covered up in the winter. I have a spot in front of my house for a few big pots where I know they will love it. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, as I'm growing these for fruit and juice.

I have all of them in ground at the moment nearby, but it's in frost pocket, and I really struggled with the more sensitive ones the last couple years. I will improve the fertilizing this summer and see how they do.

I have: kumquat; mandarin (3 types); yuzu; kabosu; sudachi; shikwasa; eureka lemon; navel orange.

The orange is a lost cause. The lemon may do OK if it's babied in front of my house in a pot. The kumquat is the toughest of them all, shows no damage despite no frost cover, however the season isn't quite long enough for the fruit to ripen. The rest of them do ok in varying degrees , requiring frost cloth coverage, but mainly because the fruit ripens before the cold really hits in the winter. Most of the fruit comes in about October November. I thought maybe the Lemontree would bear continually if it was babied in front of the house. Or just focus on these tough for varieties, and have them thrive in pots in front of the house.

Don't want to give the wrong impression. Nobody grows lemons outdoors in this area, I've only heard of mandarin and Yuzu being grown outdoors here, and carefully at that . I'm not even sure if it's a 9B.

Anyway, bit confused and just thinking it through, wonder if anyone else has been in this kind of position.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm