SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

It's September, 2016- How is your build progressing?

mushcreek
7 years ago

August had 241 posts- Way to go, fellow home builders! With summer still strong upon us, those houses are going up. Our northern friends will already be looking over their shoulder as the good weather winds down, while those of us in the South are looking forward to a little relief from what has been a HOT summer. Hopefully, none of you will be impacted by the weather currently brewing in the tropics. Enough about the weather- Please tell us about your project! Even if you're still in the planning stages, share with us (with lots of pictures, please!).

Comments (276)

• NewEnglandgal
    7 years ago

Russ, progress.....nice place to be "stuck."

Lily oooohhhh uh...well....I bet it will be well worth it when you are finally in! What is the "new" date?

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Russ...looks scary driving through that. Hope your surgery goes well.

mojo...what a view.

lily...do you have any pics anywhere here? Sorry it's taking so long :-(

• Related Discussions

It's September 2013! How's your build progressing?

Q

Comments (150)
    Today they started to put the forms up for the basement walls. They'll finish tomorrow and pour the concrete Wednesday. We will have 9 foot walls, 8 inches thick. We were surprised to see that they had already dug the hole for the septic tank and put it in! Loessismore.... your driveway looks alot like ours, what area of the country are you in?
    ...See More

It's August, 2016- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (243)
    There is some great progress being made by so many of you this month, thanks for sharing! @cpartist don't give up! It's taken us two years to get to where we are from when we first bought our land. City and environmental planning seemed like it would never end, then one day we actually got to break ground. Our home exterior is almost done, the final masonry for the entrance is going up today then we are ready for soffits and fascia. We finally found a good carpenter who fixed the old ones mistakes and passed our framing inspection with flying colours. Although it took ripping down and rebuilding some interior walls, which felt like moving backwards, we are now confident it's done right. HVAC is complete and we just got started on plumbing and electrical. The process has been a bit slower than we originally anticipated because hubby has went from general contracting the job to doing a lot of it himself. That's what happens when you are a perfectionist architect who wants to oversee your design/want to keep the borrowing to a minimum. We are looking forward to making more progress on the interior and hope we can move in by Christmas with our new baby. It has been good keeping track of progress on our blog and seeing how far we have come when things feel like things aren't progressing as fast as we want www.casadivillani.blogspot.com
    ...See More

It's October, 2016. How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (208)
    Thank you all. Tone is hard to convey; I don't have severe "oh no what have I done " doubt, just mild anxiety about using so much color. All of my favorite inspiration photos have colorful painted cabinets, and I really like how the greens/blues look with the doug fir frame: It was more an example I could use to commiserate with others on the ups and downs of building, I wasn't expecting the drama (or is this just me?): How to build a house Am_e style: Step 1) excitedly make carefully considered decisions during the design phase Step 2) materials come in/something gets built/see it in person, Step 3) promptly second guess decisions from step 1 (oh no, what were you thinking? really? I should have done that the other way) Step 4) wait a bit/sleep on it/see it completed - remember reasons for choices, realize it was a good decision after all, all is well. Step 5) repeat until house is done
    ...See More

It's December, 2016. How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (183)
    cp I'll see you and raise you and with only one element of our build - there have been hiccups (that's my euphemism for sh*t hitting the fan) at just about every turn. Our flooring was delivered a couple of weeks ago , 4" white oak, select, 4' - 10' lengths. Only it wasn't. They got the 4" white oak part ok and it was probably select but there wasn't a board we could see in any bundle over 6' and a ton of shorties, 1', 2', 3' - some is to be expected and is needed for end runs and closets but not a large percentage. Our installer did the ordering and was there to receive it but didn't say anything until it was all off loaded and spread through the house. Once DH saw it he told him to take it back and that's when the song and dance started - No one has longer lengths, I called all the mills around here, it's going to be beautiful once it's down and finished blah blah blah. No, take it back, not what we ordered and we're not paying premium for long lengths and then taking this. More song and dance - but the crew has already left, I'll have to see when they can come back, they'll charge me a restocking fee, I'm just a small business owner blah blah blah. After they picked it up the installer asks ME to pay the restocking fee! I said no, I'd CONSIDER splitting it with him after we get the right flooring, installed and finished. Meantime, DH called his old flooring supplier in Chicago, they sent us pics of the bundles showing the lengths, we placed the order and it would get freighted to us in 3 - 4 days which sets us back for the kitchen install but should be ok. I ask installer if his schedule will be clear for install at that time and he says he'd rather not do it now. OK, jerk, good bye. Then I get an email from him with a copy of the bill for restocking fee saying he'd appreciate me paying any portion of it!!! Seriously? Then my portion is 0.0% And that's only part of the story - it just keeps going and going.... Welcome to the world of building. Have I mentioned I'm never doing this again? The house is going to be fabulous but it is coming at such a huge cost to my DH - if I'd known then what I know now.....
    ...See More
  • PNW Fam of Four
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Lily'smom - I'm sure your home is going to be beautiful. All homes have their positives and negatives. I'm just selective and try to only post pics of the positives (and nicer areas of the home). :-)

• Kelsey Janak
    7 years ago

Andy - We have many people ahead of us and it's going to take several months before they really start, so we're initiating now to get a power plan in place. So when we are ready to build, we won't be waiting months for them to do what they need to do, since construction needs power to use tools! Having a power plan also impacts Comcast for our internet, which also takes 8 or so months.

Thanks to everyone for the crossed fingers - it worked! They looked at the plot plan and were fine with putting poles where they had concerns - they found some stakes the seller had put in when he got it surveyed. Turns out the neighbors on either side of our driveway entrance have a shed and a wood pile on our property, so that won't be fun to deal with down the line, but we're ready for power in the mean time!

Eversource will be installing two of the 5 poles for free (new customer discount) and the rest will be from a private contractor our GC/builder will find because paying Eversource to do the rest is an outrageous cost.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Lily...you are obviously a person of some kind of design talent so I bet you are underestimating your house. But, I gotcha. I love the description of your house being "shy". Lots to be said for plain.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

PNW...what product did you use in your gables (the shingle siding)? And are you pleased so far? Very pretty.

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

It is so fun reading everyone's updates! Gorgeous view, Mojomom. Russ, I don't think I could drive through that with my eyes open. Good luck with your surgery. Lily'smom, I hope your house comes out of its shell! My home too won't be near as fancy as a lot of the others on here (I can only dream about high end things like cement tile) but it is still fun to share progress!

As for our progress, basement has been dug and now we are stalled for the week because we have a lot of rain in the forecast. Hoping next week is clear so they can pour footers and get moving on the basement.

• PNW Fam of Four
    7 years ago

ILoveRed - The shingles are Hardie Shingles. I believe there are 3 or 4 different widths they use to create this look. We love it and it is widely used in our area and by our builder. Below are some additional photos I have of the product.

Here is a picture before paint.

Here is a picture of it still bundled and on pallets.

Hope this helps.

• Andy
    7 years ago

It's funny how different things work in different areas of the country.

Kelsey... "So when we are ready to build, we won't be waiting months for them to do what they need to do, since construction needs power to use tools! Having a power plan also impacts Comcast for our internet, which also takes 8 or so months."

That blows my mind! 8 months for Comcast? It took us a couple of weeks (~500 ft run). For what it's worth, my house will be almost finished by the time it has power, just because they waited until all of the framing was done to start the process of getting it installed. That's customary around here...you don't have electrical service until you have a meter, and you don't have a meter until you have a building to attach it to. You can't use the electricity without setting up the panel with breakers. So, framing and rough-in work is done without power. When I asked my job supervisor when it becomes a problem to not have power, he said at the point where they want to take delivery of the wood flooring. They want the flooring to sit in a conditioned environment for a period of time to reach the same level of hydration as the rest of the wood. Up until that point, everybody is used to bringing a generator or uses batteries.

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago

PNW Fam of Four- what counter top did you get? Love the hardi shingles too. We don't have it in our budget to do them now, but might change the hardi-plank in our gables to hardi-shingles later on. What area of the PNW are you building? We are in Southwest Washington :)

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

Lily

Rule #1.... Ya gotta post pics:)

of course, I am just kidding. There are all levels of home here, mine was a small modest retirement build, just over 1600 sq ft. This was our first new home and We were so proud!

• PNW Fam of Four
    7 years ago

Caitlin - We're in Northwest WA! We ended up going with a granite called Andino White. We had contemplated Quartz as well, but this granite really stuck out (along with the fact that it cost about 20% less than the Quartz). It has some really cool rocks that make it look like you are looking down into the slab. I love it even more installed!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Porch bead board ceiling is in and painted, sunporch walls are painted, things are back in their proper place and my dining room has NOTHING in it that doesn't belong there for the first time in months! Praise the Lord!!!!

• Jason Broyer
    7 years ago
    well showed up to check out progress as framing started on Monday. Wow...lot of progress in just 3 days! can't wait to see where we are by the weekend.

really get a sense of how big the windows are going to be. However 2043 sq. ft. seems a little small in this ranch. hopefully the 9' ceilings and cathedrals will help.
  • brentr20706
    7 years ago

Drywall is all done. Siding is nearing completion. Trim work is next on the list along with the stone work.

• Lori Daniel
    7 years ago
    Shingles going up! Lots of rain is wreaking havoc, and mud is EVERYWHERE!
  • ILoveRed
    7 years ago

PNW...it does help. Thank you for the pics. Your shingle siding looks really good. I may need to look at the Hardi shingles. I was surprised that the primed comes in looking a yellowish color.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Lori...I love the style of your home. Have you posted your floorplan anywhere?

• Lori Daniel
    7 years ago
    It is a custom plan that I have been dreaming/working on for 22 years. I have OCD about symmetry-can you tell? lol
  • Am E
    7 years ago

I guess I’d like to vent frustration with our first major
    hurdle. I figure folks here will understand, although I doubt anyone can help.

My husband and I both work from home, we own a (very) small
    business together. We require an internet connection. Over a year ago, before
    we committed to building, we contacted Time Warner to confirm we would be able
    to get cable internet service at our new address (not a given in our rural area.) (We live in the
    area now, and have cable – we wanted to make sure our new property had
    service). The coverage map said yes, and they confirmed on the phone that yes, we could get
    cable internet.

Fast forward to about a month ago; we were about ¾ of the
    way through the construction of our house. We wanted to go ahead and get cable
    service started (yes, while still under construction), so we called to get the
    process started, hoping it would actually be hooked up by the time we wanted to
    move in. Now, after a month, four site visits by various people from Time
    Warner, and numerous phone calls, we are now told that the “node” for our new
    address is full, and that they will have to run new fiber from town to increase
    capacity. They told us if we wanted service, we would need to pay for that infrastructure
    upgrade at a cost of $52,000.

That’s not a typo. $52k for internet service. So, basically,
    Time Warner doesn’t want our business. Our other options are not good: 4g
    wireless service, which is fast, but has prohibitive data caps, or DSL, which
    has unlimited data, but is prohibitively slow. I can only dream about fiber.

*sigh* We’ve talked several neighbors on the road, all have
    complained they can’t get service from time warner. We saw cable on the road,
    we figured we were fine. It turns out, most have satellite TV, a few have cable
    TV, NONE have internet service. Should have talked to the neighbors before we
    started.

• Andy
    7 years ago

Oh my am_e, that is brutal. I am so sorry to hear that. My business life also depends on a reliable, low-latency internet connection...it ruled out so many beautiful lots. If I couldn't get Comcast, it was a deal killer.

If you were able to put together 26 people that need internet, you could each chip in $2k. Not an ideal solution, but doable. In fact, you may even find if you come to them with 20+ people who want to start paying for internet service they go "oh ok fine we'll install a node".

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We just went through the cable hassle, too. We were told cable was available; in fact, the guy came out to hook us up, only to tell us, 'There's no cable around here." Huh? Luckily, they're under heavy competition these days, and ran overhead cable, then underground, plus a connection point (whatever they call that round thing sticking up out of the ground) for FREE!

Lily'smom- I hope you'll post some pictures. We built a small, one bedroom, very plain and modest ranch, and I couldn't wait to post pictures. Our project was done on a desperately tight budget, but it's home, and we're proud of it!

• omelet
    7 years ago

It's so interesting how different things are in different areas. Andy said where he is "you don't have electrical service until you have a meter, and you don't
    have a meter until you have a building to attach it to. You can't use
    the electricity without setting up the panel with breakers. So, framing
    and rough-in work is done without power."

It's different where we are. For both of our builds, they brought power in early and set up a temporary power pole. For our lake house build, this temporary power pole was set up in April. The main meter was not attached to the house until the end of June. We didn't transfer power to our names until after we had the Certificate of Occupancy. But the builder and his subs did have power on site throughout the build.

Also I agree with what Andy and mushcreek have said about cable. We had no cable in our area for many years. But when there was enough neighborhood pressure, the company brought the whole area in and provided the entire set-up all the way to each home for free.

• sklka
    7 years ago

@mushcreek - you should be proud of your home, it is beautiful.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Lori...very nice. I love symmetry too. Your closet space is awesome for all of your bedrooms. Nice floorplan.

am_e.....oh my. My dh has to have fast and reliable internet. Uh boy. I feel for you. I wish I knew what to tell you. What a pickle.

i agree Mush. Your home is very special.

• Am E
    7 years ago

Yeah, Andy, attempting to rally the neighborhood to try and get Time Warner to provide service is one of several potential strategies we're working on. While I generally love living in a rural area, there are the known negatives. One of those is that our street isn't a "neighborhood" in the suburban sense. Its a rural road with a diverse group of people/houses/income levels, some of whom don't care about internet connections, and/or can't afford them. I may be surprised, but I doubt we could get get a commitment for $2k, $1k or even $500 out of very many people. There are a lot of houses however, so I need to determine how many houses this "node" serves, so I know how wide a net I can cast for support.

I still have doubts though, we've talked to quite a few folks who have tried to get service in the past, and have said others on the road have tried as well. So, Time Warner is already hearing that there is demand on our road, but they still aren't interested in providing service. This is ongoing, however, and I don't we've escalated to the right person at Time Warner yet, so we'll see.

• Am E
    7 years ago

Also, thanks Lori for sharing your floorplan, there's a lot to like.

• Kelsey Janak
    7 years ago

Andy - Oh that's nice! Eversource set us up with a "temporary" account that they will use during building. We also set up the permanent one in the meantime, but won't actually have the meter and everything for it until the house is done.

And yeah, he said 8 months, but it could be sooner. Depends on how many people are ahead of us.

am_e - Yikes, I'm so sorry. Totally unfair that you checked and confirmed and they still messed up.

That was a huge fear of mine when we bought our land in a semi-rural area. Found out we could only get Comcast (Xfinity) instead of FiOS like we have now (Comcast sucks), but it was at least fibre optic internet. I will be working from home 2-3 days a week starting next year, so it was a huge priority.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

oh am_e - what a mess. It does seem it's time to work up the chain if they told you it would be available. At the end of the day we're at their mercy when there isn't any competition and it just sucks.

Lori your home is so pretty! I've been fighting my inner symmetry goblins through this whole build because nothing about this house is symmetrical!

brentr we need more pictures - love the look of your house.

artemis you are just chugging along! Everything is looking so good.

The outside of our house is really taking shape and I am 98% in love with it. The 2% hesitation is the color of all of our Douglas Fir porch posts. I dithered back and forth, tested several colors of penetrating stain/sealer (we went with Penofin brand) but they all seemed too dark to me. In the end I decided to embrace the natural color of the fir and we used the clear finish. Or course they are darker than untreated but I wasn't prepared for how the sealer would amplify the orange which had faded a lot since they were put in. I don't hate it, but everything else I LOVE and this is kind of not love. I called Penofin and the good news is all of their colors/products can be intermixed and they recommended waiting 6 months then using their gray Mendocino Mist over the top to tone down it down. The bad news is it will be much harder to do that when we have porch decking every to protect so we'll see. Maybe it will grow on me. Inside we are getting ready to trim and I'm looking at actual paint colors :-D

Side view of house coming up from the creek

Front - siding on the other dormer is done now, too. Getting rid of the red sheathing has made a big difference. The house dwarfs DH there but once the grading is done and the porch floors are in the perspective will change a lot.

• Am E
    7 years ago

DLM2000 - I am 100% with you on the doug fir color issue. We have some outside timbers, plus the entire inside timber frame is doug fir. I must have tried every stain color, only to land on leaving it natural. I'm embracing the orange, and after trying harder to work with its natural color, its growing on me:) (The internet was no help, as there are as many answers as to how to finish/what product to use as there are people answering.) FWIW, the posts look great to me in the photos you just posted. Remember, even when finished, they will tone down/become more gray/less orange over time.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Oh, Lily'smom it's beautiful ! It looks like a pretty, soft yellow but I understand your concern, not everyone is a yellow fan. I happen to love it and my very first on-my-own decorating included yellow gingham which still makes me smile. Now that she's come out of her shell a bit, share some more!

• Andy
    7 years ago

I am not a fan of yellow, but that does look nice. I think because it's not a giant wall of yellow siding.

• omelet
    7 years ago

I love yellow - such a cheerful color. And I love your porch.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Lily..how dare you call her plain. She is absolutely lovely :-)

• mojomom
    7 years ago

I love the soft yellow! Such a sweet looking house!

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

That is a beautiful, soft yellow! And that porch! Looks very welcoming!

• Casa Di Villani
    7 years ago

I'm pleased to say the exterior of our home is complete as the soffits and fascia went up last week.

The basement slab was poured overnight.

Hydro went in this week too.

Electrical and plumbing are underway and framing is just about done.

We are looking forward to getting our septic started next week. With a new baby and hubby's busy work schedule general contracting our home build continues to be time consuming but we are making progress, slower than we hoped but that's construction for you.

• PNW Fam of Four
    7 years ago

Lily'smom - Your home is beautiful. A nice place to come home to. I have to agree with all the other comments about the color. It looks great and seems to fit the house.

Casa - Looks like you have been busy. Can't wait to see the pictures as your build progresses!

• doc5md
    7 years ago

So, I haven't really excited to join any of these threads... Lets say I didn't want to jinx anything...

BUT.. I
    will now just to say... We have our land and we are working with an
    architect on house plans, driveway location and siting. I wish it all
    would move along faster :) But I know we need to be patient to figure
    out all the details of what we want. We've been studying the wind for
    the past month to make sure we get the siting just right!

197 acres. And this is a 270 degree panorama of our view taken on my phone.

• charintx (z 8b, central Texas)
    7 years ago

Looks like everyone is chugging along and things are progressing nicely. Our house is 95% complete. We are down to the picky stuff and since our GC is a gem, he has already addressed what he knew I was going to call out. Outside is done except moving a light over about 8 inches so it's centered after the shutter install and a place where they tore a single on the edge. Inside, we will do our punch walk in 3 weeks and close in 4. I'm madly packing. Over all this has been an easy journey and it's because of our GC. Inside pics when the final clean is done.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lily'smom- I love your house! Funny about that yellow color; a friend of mine went through the same thought process, and ended up painting his house yellow, too.

As for a name, we informally refer to our place as 'Timely Manor', as it was built in a timely manner; almost four years worth. Some one on here years ago mentioned the name, so I adopted it for our place. Some day I may paint a sign board for the front porch. Why not- we are supposed to be having fun, aren't we?

• gthigpen
    7 years ago

Lily'smom - I love the color and your house looks great. My current house is a pale yellow (Jersey Cream by SW) and I absolutely love it. It makes me smile every time I drive up. I wish I could paint my new house the same color but since we're building right next door, probably not a good idea. :)

We demo'd existing house on the lot in July and we FINALLY got the final plans from the architect. Now working on getting our permits with the city so we can finally start!!

• Time11130
    7 years ago

We are moving along.... Still waiting to de idea what color of stain to do our front door, I don't know if I should match it to the hardwood floor or go totally different?! The picture of the front of our house looks odd because you can't see the fro t door since it has to be protected until it's finished. The coffered ceiling looks a bit different than I pictured in my head but I think it will separate the living room and kitchen area nicely.

• April Z
    7 years ago

Love the color Lilysmom! Fits her perfectly. Funny you should mention a name. We've been trying to come up with a name for our homestead too and just can't seem to find something that fits. We have 11 acres with a main house and guest cottage. Lots of oaks, lots of wild life but still can't come up w something!
    Here's some more pics of our home. I had to laugh at one of the comments about the moving date being this past July; I feel ya. We're hoping to finally move late October/early November. Things are moving along. Cabinets are being installed. Everything looks great. One major hiccup has been waiting for the plumber to come fix the piping for our claw foot tub. Everyone tells me they are a pain but hoping ours works fine!

• April Z
    7 years ago

Here's the sweet cottage. My mom is going to live here; we can't wait to send the kids to her house at any time of the day or night! ;)

• susha
    7 years ago
    Nice to see good progress made here by everyone! Here we are still in the dirt and a long way to go....
  • BuildinginTN
    7 years ago

Lily's mom - it's BEAUTIFUL! So perfect.

• skw27
    7 years ago

Lily'smom, I'm so happy you posted a pic of your sweet house-I love the yellow and the mix of siding. I remember last month you made a comment about the turmoil you'd go through if anyone tore up your plan when someone asked if you posted it anywhere, it made me LOL.

April Z, I've loved seeing all the pics of your house and definitely love the cottage!

Doc5md, it definitely takes longer than expected especially living on acreage but it's worth it!

Time11130, I'm with you on the door stain question, I was wanting to stain my doors a little different from the floors but can't decide yet! I'm loving your exterior.

Casa di Villani, I have a new baby too but can't imagine being my own GC. I'm at the house all the time with my baby in a front carrier. Your house looks awesome.

My debacle with the exterior brick continues but the mudroom floors just got finished so at least SOME brick (it's actually porcelain tile) is making me happy! The grout dust is still there but you get the idea. The pic is from the garage and the door ahead is a side entry door.

Here's my exterior brick with some mortar scratched away to make it lighter (left), where I tried to whitewash it (middle, fail), and how dark the rest is (right).

The fireplace unfortunately has the same brick as the outside. They pulled all the dark mortar out of the fireplace and were going to add white (not the one in the pic below-whiter). I'm just not loving the brick-I know it will look better with white mortar but right now it's hard to see past it looking like a 1970's basement fireplace. Plus it's just not what I envisioned.

This was what I had in mind

I'm wondering how labor intensive/expensive it would be to pull it all out and put the porcelain tile but cut down 2" in length to tie in with the mudroom... I don't like the size of the mudroom tiles (they're 2x10, I wanted 4x8) but that size was the only color porcelain I found that I liked. Man, everyone is gonna hate me soon! But my GC said we're not doing so bad since this is the first thing in the entire build I haven't been happy with.

Mortar not in yet, yucko. Sample board is the color "white" but not white enough. I just bought "Avalanche" which is whiter.

This was right after they pulled all the mortar out, some bricks came out too

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Lily, your home is beautiful. I personally prefer the simplicity of your clean lines and I think you managed to find the perfect yellow.

• BuildinginTN
    7 years ago

Skw - I really like both your sample board and the whitewashed brick. You mentioned the sample board isn't as light as you wanted. Did you like the whitewash? Hope you get to a happy place. I LOVE your mudroom!!

aprilz - can I send my kids to the cottage too lol? Not only is it adorable, but I love the concept of extra help with kids when you need!!

susha - so exciting to see things get started. It's a perfect time of year for framing.

time - we decided to go darker on our front door than the floors, which have a medium stain. If threw my builder off s bit lol. I'm trying to imagine his reaction if I'd brought in a totally different color lol. I say change it up!

char - congrats! Do you have a move in date? Love seeing a nicely manicured tree out front.

doc - wow! That is a gorgeous piece of property. Will be fun siting a house I'm sure!

I will move over to October with updates, but didn't want to skip some comments here. :-)