SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doodlelou

Why isn't my dryer drying my clothes?

doodlelou
7 years ago

I just posted on the appliances forum in response to someone else (http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3901289/need-help-buying-a-washer-and-dryer) but thought I would check in with you guys as well. This is cut-pasted-expanded-and-edited from the other thread.

We recently moved to a new (to us) house, where of course the previous
owner had replaced the WD before they sold. It is a Maytag Centennial TL
set (one year old) and I hate it. I have always prided myself on being a total laundry genius and I'm seriously frustrated. The clothes are wrinkled and tangled
in the washer but that isn't the biggest problem except for things that have to hang dry. In fact, the problem with my dryer helps with the clothes being wrinkly out of the washer because they have to run 2-3 cycles in the dryer to get dry. And the drying is not a spin issue. Kids were in camp, we moved, and we had lots of house guests and now school starting so I have had many opportunities to test. :) I have had the vent cleaned, the vent tubing replaced, cleaned
the sensor, and have tried every setting and every level and every size
of load (I'm a scientist IRL). High is better and sometimes works on the first try (except with towels and sheets) but medium and low are a joke. I don't want everything to shrink so like to use low on many things if possible and turned to medium in desperation, but why have multiple heat levels if only high works? I have done everything suggested in the owner's manual and
online except replacing the sensor, as it is the same story
when I use timed dry (which I have timed, and actually is pretty on-point), but is the sensor tied to the timed dry? Shouldn't be, right? I have
to plan drying to make sure I am home long enough to to start it again
because otherwise it is sitting damp and warm and gets mildewed
smelling, so now I can't dry things overnight which is a real pain. I have kids and I don't have
time for this kind of nonsense. It's a shame because we left behind a
30-year-old Maytag set that worked like a charm.

Am I doing anything/everything wrong or is this just a piece of junk? TIA.

Comments (17)