Angies List, terrible feedback d/base
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (26)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Has anyone used Angies List?
Comments (5)live in the area between Dallas and FTW--more referrals for some types of companies are for the Dallas area --Fort Worth was more recent addition to the list and with Angie's list there is no guarantee that the person/company you choose will be the cheapest--there is no way to price-check a bid except by getting more than one have been Angie's List member about 3 yrs--found a good electrician and a plumber who saved me over $500 when my water heater needed to be replaced--did a great job and because it was a retrofit it was difficult to bring it up to code... we found the guy who painted the interior and did some other work at house we bought last year and he is doing remodeling for older one we are getting ready to put on the market--he does not have a web-site and is a smaller operation but has a real desire to do a good job the gutters for that house are being replaced by company from the list-- we had the motor on the security gate for our new house replaced by company from the list as well and got some bids for landscaping--they were really higher than we wanted to pay but frankly the job probably would have been better done if we had used one of them then our regular yard guy when we had our old house re-roofed I should have used someone from the list but went with another roofer that a friend recommended--her job was done well--think ours with a different salesman/agent was not so well-done... I think most of the reviews are really from people who have used the list--not like Apartment search reviews on something like Google which are often from other apt people-- but like anything--there is no guarantee that your choice will be perfect what I like about the Angie's pages is that there is usually a link to BBB site so you can read about the company--which is helpful to me... I just wish there was some way to contact posters about the longevity of the job--did it hold up--how were later problems handled-- that is where quality comes into play......See Moreanyone tried angies list??
Comments (9)It's annoying when people don't follow through. I don't think I'd pay for a site like that because I live in a small town. It may be worth it in a big city and you plan to have a lot of work done. I'm still waiting for the paint guy to come paint my house. A friend from work recommended her husband last year. He kept putting me off and finally it got too cold for me to open the windows and air the house out so I told him it would have to wait till Spring. Well, I'm still waiting. She told me three weeks ago he would come in a couple of days and start. Then last week I worked and she told me he would start tomorrow after he called and came over with the price of the paint and for my house key. Well, I still haven't heard from them. I started painting last week and am going to get another gallon of paint to finish that room, at least the walls. Still have to buy paint for the trim and closet....See MoreHave you used Angie's list?
Comments (4)I've subscribed to AL for about 8 years now and I re-up happily. I figure the yearly subscription fee is much less than I'd pay to fix a crummy job done by some contractor hired on a third-hand recommendation or a random stab in a phone book/Web search. In that length of time, I've hired only one "dud" off the List, and that was a handyman. He was one of their less-frequently-rated listees, but I went with him because he met other job requirements. He didn't do a bad job, either -- it just wasn't the smooth experience I had with other selections from AL. Negative feedback is not a problem unless it's obvious you're way off the mark ("Joe did good work but seems to hate people in this part of town.") I routinely see contractors downgraded for lack of punctuality or bad phone manners or sloppy cleanup. Be aware that all feedback (good and bad) goes to the contractor and they have the opportunity to rebut your side of the story, though AL seems to take the trouble to keep people to the facts. Certainly if you have a beef with a contractor, the more facts you can provide to support your side, the better off you are. AL staff can intervene if you've had a truly terrible experience with a contractor, but there usually are better avenues to pursue (like Small Claims court or your state's Attorney General)....See MoreIs Angie's List helpful?
Comments (11)I just bought a gift membership fora friend for $30 and at Christmas they often have half price gift membership for $15. I have really liked their "Big Deals", generally good value time limited deals only offered by A rated companies. I have many things in the back of my mind that I'd like to have done around the house, but don't have the time or energy to research it. So when Angie's list sends a Big Deal that allows me to cross something off my list, I've jumped on it and have not been disappointed yet. So far, I have bought. I know the values vary by market; you can look at those without being a member. 1. Handyman service for 2 hours $75 (contractor and helper, 2 hours, hung new French doors) 2. Fall yard and garden cleanup $200 up to half an acre. These guys showed up with 8 people and ATTACKED the yard, cleaner than it's ever been. 3. Painting walls in 3 rooms up to 500 sf, 2 coats $600. These guys were fantastic. My walls were pockmarked from many diy drywall repairs in the past (3 boys). They looked new by the time these guys were done, I think they skim coated every wall, a nice surprise. it took 2 guys about 7 hours. 4. Drywall repair and handyman services 1 guy, 6 hours for $200. I had cut six holes in my walls to see what was behind them in anticipation of a possible kitchen remodel. Also, our kitchen ceiling was a mess from water damage (guest left the shower curtain bottom OUTSIDE the tub in the upstairs bathroom above the kitchen while taking a shower). I also had him caulk and paint my dark ceiling beams. Again, excellent work on all of it and I was very pleased. 5. Whole house duct cleaning with a certified company for $200. 6. Whole house surge suppression $175. The electrician also replaced a hard wired smoke detector for $25. So, I have really benefited from my membership....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

BEDROOMSTrending Now: 25 Bedrooms We’d Love to Fall Asleep In
Looking for a comfortable and calm space? Consider some of the most popular new bedroom photos on Houzz
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHave a Design Dilemma? Talk Amongst Yourselves
Solve challenges by getting feedback from Houzz’s community of design lovers and professionals. Here’s how
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN18 Dream Items to Punch Up a Master-Bath Wish List
A designer shared features she'd love to include in her own bathroom remodel. Houzz readers responded with their top amenities. Take a look
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE10 Low-Cost Tweaks to Help Your Home Sell
Put these inexpensive but invaluable fixes on your to-do list before you put your home on the market
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE7 Must-Dos on the Day You Show Your House
Don’t risk losing buyers because of little things you overlook. Check these off your list before you open the front door
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETSKeeping Cabinet Color on the Down Low
Give just base cabinets a colorful coat for a kitchen sporting character and a spacious look
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERanch House Love: Inspiration From 13 Ranch Renovations
Kick-start a ranch remodel with tips based on lovingly renovated homes done up in all kinds of styles
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREIt Takes a Village: 2 Homes Made of Multiple Structures
Separate buildings join in style and intention in these home bases, showing that sometimes more is just right
Full Story
FURNITURE12 Sofa Colors That Won't Box You In
With any of these colors as a base, you can change your decor as often as you change your mind
Full Story
COLORCooking With Color: When to Use Gray in the Kitchen
Try out Trout or shake up some Martini Shaker gray for a neutral-based kitchen that whispers of sophistication
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
lucillle