SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktgrandy

Help with what to plant along back fence?

ktgrandy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello, I am located on the Bay Area peninsula and we are starting a back yard remodel. I am having trouble deciding what to use as a nice evergreen screen along the back fence. It's a frustrating space because it seems to get too much sun for shade loving plants but too little for sun lovers. Right up against the back is shade and out from there maybe 2 or 3 feet is some sun. What's there currently? See pic. below: One purple hopseed grown as a small tree, one scorched japanese maple that is half dead, and two podocarpus "icy blue" bushes. Yes, sad. Looking for any suggestions... directly in front of this will be a garden space with lots of perennials, so I'm looking for a nice, easy foundation that stays green and doesn't get too tall as you can see the lovely power lines overhead. Ok so Idea #1 is more purple hopseed, but grown as bushes, with a shrub in front of it that's a little lower and bright green for contrast. Second idea is more podocarpus, but maybe mix the types so some are more blue (slower growers) and some green (will need to be pruned to keep shape. That's all I've got. Not a huge fan of Pittosporum but willing to consider. Open to ideas and suggestions! Thanks for the input! Also, there is an irrigation line back there so water needs are secondary to color, shape, size, hardiness.

Comments (5)