SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
romaine598

Need help changing poorly designed kitchen

7 years ago

My kitchen is a nightmare. I keep telling myself it isn't bad, but then I bake or cook in it and absolutely hate it. We have three problems when it comes to our kitchen- 1), some fool (either original owner or builder) thought it'd be a good idea to stick the window near the corner (former sink was in the corner, but I had my heart set on the iKea domsjo sink), and 2) Against my advice, my husband built a pantry in the kitchen with dimensions caught out of the air before I even started planning the layout (we weren't living in the house at the time yet, so it was rather a surprise), and then 3) After I finally designed a layout, showed it to dh to get his approval, since he was the one doing the kitchen, and then purchased the cabinets, hubby then informed me that my layout wasn't going to work, as I had planned for the sink and dishwasher to be in front of our pass-through window to avoid the awkwardness of the sink not being directly beneath the other window. So, using the cabinets we just bought, I had to scramble to come up with a suitable new layout and since I am not a kitchen designer, the layout isn't the best and I am extremely unhappy with it to the point of tears (I had wanted to use the Ikea design services, but dh insisted we didn't need it). I have used the Ikea planning software to create countless layouts and have no idea which one to choose. I am at my wits' end and am afraid I'll make another designing mistake, and so am in serious need of help. We are about to buy butcher block countertops, so I figure if we're going to make changes, now's the time to do it! I could also use some help choosing the flooring. I had gone with some
groutable vinyl tile, which makes me sick to my stomach now, but have no
idea whether to just paint it since it's pretty new or replace it,
especially since I have no idea with what affordable option to replace
it (and I'm afraid of real tile, since I have a toddler who falls a lot)
:( This is our first house, and was built in the 1950's with one owner (husband, who passed away in the 80's and his wife who died just last year at 106 years old), so pretty much everything in the house was original when we bought it, and it has fallen on me to redesign everything (Pinterest has become my best friend), while dh is going to be the one to put plans into action by himself.

Pictures of our current layout:

The oven (the cabinet next to it was a lazy susan, but I had to take off the side in the last minute layout, but then realized the door I had attached to it wouldn't open so close to the fridge)

Possible new layouts:

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida