SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ci_lantro

Stevia Recommendations

ci_lantro
7 years ago

I need some recommendations for what stevia product to buy.

What I need is a bulk product (not packets) to use in things like home made ice cream, sliced strawberries and apple crisp. For low-er carb diet and limited gluten--so not really to be used for baking (much). In the rare case where I might bake something, I would most like use part sugar and part stevia...

Background--I've only purchased stevia twice. I don't use it a lot and, much of the time when I do use it, it's just for a touch of sweetness like in a stir-fry sauce, marinade, etc. (Besides the aforementioned.) The first bag I bought was from Aldi and that seemed OK although it's been a good while since I bought it. Since Aldi no longer stocks the bagged product, the last brand that I bought was Wal-Mart's Great Value brand. The ingredient listing for the GV is 'Maltodextrin, Stevia Extract.'

I'm not satisfied with the GV Stevia because it doesn't seem to be all that sweet, IYKWIM. Just doesn't do the trick, esp. with strawberries and wasn't great in the ice cream, either. The GV Stevia is 'supposed' to measure the same as real sugar. IME, not really.

Limited resources locally so recommendations that are available on Amazon welcomed. The more I look at the products on Amazon, the confused-er I get. Do I want a pure (very concentrated) product or something that measures more like sugar? Liquid vs powder?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)