SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

Sept. OBF: Bugs - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

sandlapper_rose
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This swap is for members of Our Blooming Friends. If you're not already a member, you can find out more about joining by contacting Shirley (brittneysgran).

I'm a day or so early with posting this for September, but I don't think anyone will mind. The word "bug" is being used loosely here to indicate any small creature in the garden: ant, worm, ladybug, dragonfly, bee, butterfly, snail, etc.

We will be a bit "buggy" In September. There will be bug related games and what you send to your assigned partner should be related to one or more "bugs". There are all kinds of bug items - it's especially easy to find spider items this time of the year... and bats eat bugs ... and then there are seeds with names related to bugs, not to mention things like ladybugs, bees and the other designs featured on all kinds of items. If you and your swap partner are in a location where fall planting is advisable, it's fine to include a perennial plant or two. It's also fine to send a handmade item if you are a "crafty person".

Mail out by Sept. 20.

A priority padded envelope or medium priority size box should be the maximum size for what you send. We want to keep the expenses reasonable. It's relative to how you shop. I know some members are very good at finding things on sale or skilled in spotting flea market finds. Just send the type of package you would like to receive. Please include at least 3 items in your package. If you are sending seeds, all of the seed packets will count as only one of the items. I think we would love to see things in addition to seeds.

When you sign up, please include some "buggy" advice - anything you like: how to attract good bugs, how to control the bad bugs, saving the bees, something about a specific type of bug, etc.

I'm signing myself up ... and here's my buggy advice:

Dragonflies, one of the oldest known insects, are attracted to boggy, wet areas and are often found hanging around garden ponds and fountains. They are water creatures for the first part of their lives. Fortunately some come to live in my garden each year.

In prehistoric times, they were much larger than they are now - measuring over two feet long! Dragonflies help to keep the fly, gnat, aphid and mosquito population in check by consuming their own body weight in bugs each half-hour! Obviously the exotic jewel colors make the dragonfly even more fascinating and there are many types - about 500 species in North America.

Dragonflies need sunlight to fly and will land even if the sun goes behind a cloud. When resting, they hold their wings spread out. They use their legs for clinging and climbing and are very skillful at capturing their prey in mid-air.

(I'm not a "bug expert" so you can do what I did for your bug information - just search a few sites on the internet or consult a book and give a brief summary of what you find ... or your personal experience is equally good.)

Just a review of the group rules:
1. Send your swap by the posted deadline for each swap.
2. No bickering. This is meant to be fun for everyone.
3. Send things that you yourself would want to receive.
4. Include a Delivery Confirmation number and post it when you send the package.
5. Always post what you receive from your swap partner (and pictures are nice).
6. You will be required to replace a swap package that does not make it to your partner for any reason. Also you'll be required to replace any items that arrive broken or lost in transit.
7. New members will be required to send their trades first for the first two swaps.

Jeanne

Comments (195)