SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kicez

Mudroom lockers

kicez
7 years ago

Hello,

I would like to make mudroom lockers for the four of us. The problem is the space in the alcove is only 128 cm (50") wide. Do you think that is makes sense to build lockers 30 cm (11 3/4") wide and 38 cm (15") deep? I thought I could put four ikea lillangen cabinets side by side: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39155374/ I would like to place hooks on the sides and not on the back of each cabinet. We would only keep our clothes there, no backpacks or bags. Shoes would be stored on the opposite wall in a shoe cabinet. What do you think about that? Does it make sense?

(on top of the plan is the exit door and we need a bench near it with some space underneath for wet wellies)

My other idea is to use tall ikea metod cabinets - two 60 cm x 38 cm (23" x 15") instead of lillagen cabinets in the pictures above and another two 40 cm x 38 cm (15 3/4" x 15") on the opposite wall. In this setup, two wider cabinets in the alcove would be for me and dh and the narrower ones for the kids. We wouldn't need extra storage for shoes, as everyone would have 2-3 bottom shelves for that. The problem with this setup is that I would have to place tall cabinets close to the door that lead to the living room and it would block the view of the mudroom (the space would feel less open). What do you think?

The last idea I have is to put three metod cabinets 40 cm x 38 cm (15 3/4" x 15") in the alcove and one cabinet 40-60 cm x 38 cm (15 3/4"-23" x 15") on the opposite wall. This other tall cabinet would also block the view...

The reason why I don't want to push the tall cabinet(s) to the corner by the exit door is that we need some space to temporarily hang wet clothes and store wet boots - tall or medium cabinets placed in the middle of the wall would partialy block the view of the hung clothes. I would like to have those clothes hidden but on the other hand putting a tall cabinet in the middle of a shallow alcove doesn't seem like a good idea :( I think that a shoes cabinet 100 cm heigh (40") would be a better choice, as it would not look as "blocky" as a tall cabinet.

Please advise me on what setup to decide on!!!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner