SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forevernow

Is this mudroom locker bench usable?

forevernow
5 years ago

I'm trying to design a new kitchen. Our only backyard access is through a sliding door in the kitchen and I am so sick and shoes and coats scattered around my kitchen all the time so I'd like to put a small bench and locker in the corner by that door to capture some of that stuff. However if the bench is too deep it will affect my island size. To make sure there is at least a doorway sized opening between the corner of the island and the bench it can't be more than 18" deep (the bench that is). The lockers will have to come down to the bench (at least two of them anyway) as my children are still young and I want them to be able to reach the hooks. I found this style of locker which had dimensions of 18" deep. Do you think that little lip would be enough room of you needed to sit to get boots and such off? It doesn't say in the listing but I'm guessing the lockers are 12" and the lip is 6". I want them to stop by the door and not track into the kitchen to the table or something to take off muddy stuff.

For reference this is the general layout I'm working with. This is being honed (I want the island to be deeper than this picture) so there have been some changes already but this is the general footprint I'm looking at. The wall I want the lockers against is 4' the wall to the right of the sliding door is 3'.

Comments (11)