SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

My ultimate pet peeve - the Upsell

sushipup1
7 years ago

I hate hate hate the upsell. No, I don't want fries with that.

Whether it's the grossly useless extended warranty or half-assed undercoating on a car, the restaurant that gives you the "choice" of name-brand bottled water or obviously inferior tap water. All of it. I hate it.

I go into the bank a fair amount, and I get cash withdrawals of more than my ATM limit or in different denominations. I was so sick of having tellers tell me that I have so much money in my checking account (really? not their business) and would I be interested in a savings account? Or buying insurance? Or investing? I had the bank put an alert on the account that no one could give me the upsell, and thus requiring the teller to get a supervisor to override the alert to complete my transaction. Didn't take long and made my transactions with the tellers, who really are nice people, much more pleasant.

So I went into the bank recently to change my address and order some new checks, and I got seated in the manager's office. And he overrode my alert by giving me every upsell the bank could dream up. Now, I admit that I had more money than usual in my account, money that was going toward work on the house.

I should have said, bluntly, if you want to give me the upsell, I'll take my business to another bank. No, I don't want fries with that.

Last time I bought a car, I told the finance manager (even if you pay all cash, the salesman doesn't complete the paperwork) to can the upsells, no undercoating, alarm systems, paint protection, service plan, NOTHING. Took about 10 minutes total, thank goodness. Poor guy probably never gets thru a customer that fast!

So how much do you hate the upsell? Or do you buy everything that's offered?

Comments (77)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living