SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lseltzer317537

Best nurseries for sweet cherry trees? Rootstock questions!

I am in zone 5 and have prepared a special bed for two sweet cherry trees. The goal is to create an espalier of these running up the south side of our home, which has pillars supporting a deck that is 12' tall. i would like to purchase Kristin and Black Gold, if black gold is going to pollinate Kristin. If not, Van is my second choice.

I think, since I have a lot of pruning ahead of me, that perhaps a standard rootstock would be fine. My plan is to plant the two trees about 8' apart, to induce root competition and keep the trees a bit smaller that way. (I hear that is a thing people do with good success.) There will be a couple of edelweiss grapes planted to the side as well.

I just don't know if Gisela 5 rootstock is the way to go, Or I'd just buy from Raintree. These tiny trees are for people picking at ground level, and I have a 12' deck! Also I hear there are some issues with gisela 5 re hardiness, vigor and tolerance for wetness.

Otoh I am having trouble finding nurseries that sell the varieties I want on standard rootstock. Stark bros will not guarantee which rootstock they use, though apparently it's usually Mahaleb. If true, fine, but they won't guarantee and that's frustrating.

Either way, I'd just like to choose soon so I can get a good tree delivered in spring 2017. Thanks!

Comment (1)