SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twoteith

What to do with my dead new st augustine lawn.

twoteith
7 years ago

I live in Jacksonville Fl. I have a fair amount of lawn experience. May 27, 2016, I planted muck based St Augustine Bitter blue that I bought from central Fl. because I couldn't find it here. $2800 delivered. I tilled the soil and put in sprinklers, pre-treated for insects and used a starter fertilizer. I have naturally dry sandy soil. first few weeks it looked great. The weather got real hot and I noticed irregular wilted areas. I looked and found some chinch bugs. treated and two weeks later again. Increased watering due to excessive wilting. Got fungus, Brown patch I think. I put out scotts brand granular fungus control at the stronger recommended rate. Seemed like it was slightly improving but growing very slow and going pale. I put out turf builder and ironite. Decline has continued until now I have nothing but weeds. The reciept from the sod co. says put out fungicide and insecticide within 7 to 10 days. I forgot about that until my problems began. They wont give me new sod as expected.

I plan to replant next year maybe end of March. The question is should I start now killing the weeds and bugs until closer to planting time?

Comments (9)