SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

need your opinions to help me decide!!!!!!

User
7 years ago

Maybe some of you recall my griping about Charles XII earlier this year. I have two,planted about the end of 2013: neither has
bloomed well so far. But whereas one Chas is off in a spot that I don't
always see, Chas no. 2 is in a very prominent spot, so I see the dang
thing constantly! It's grown huge in these 2 and a half years, but
basically all it's blooms just balled, bull-headed,etc,even this past
spring. Now, I know, some climbers take a while, etc, etc, etc. But this
thing is in such a prominent spot...

I've been thinking of just chopping this big Charles way back and moving it,and replacing it with either Annie Laurie McDowell or Joyeuse Farandole.That way,once Chas is out, I could work seriously on the soil. Originally this was a totally infertile modelling clay-type area; it's quite probable that I didn't really improve it enough before planting Charles. I could move Charles to a new-and less prominent!-area,so it would have a chance in possibly better soil, and even if it remains unimpressive,it wouldn't be constantly under my nose. But WHEN to do it???

I'm going back and forth. I could
leave Charles one more year,since Annie Laurie
McDowell and Joyeuse Farandole ,both grafted, are growing in 3-gallon
pots.Neither one of these two roses gives me the impression of being uber-vigorous as young plants; I think both might fall into the category of roses that want to bloom so much that they tend to grow rather slowly,so perhaps it would be wiser to grow them on for another year in their pots, trying to get them up to 5-gallon size. This seems like the "wisest" solution, perhaps. But another part of me is just fed
up...after all, I DO have space ; I could just move Chas.And one does get so sick of waiting for a rose that's in a prominent spot to do something lovable.

What would YOU do? Any and all opinions welcome;hearing what others have to say helps me to think about things...thanks in advance!

Comments (5)