SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Wine/Mug Cubbies - IKEA Kitchen Hack Advice Please

numbersjunkie
7 years ago

I've ordered my cabinets - Bodbyn Gray. I have about 8" of filler space on the each wall surrounding my sink window and was planning to hack a wine/mug cubby similar to the Horda open cabinets pictured HERE so go in that filler space on each side. The Ikea Horda cabinets are is too wide for my space and I also don't like that the sides and shelves are so thin - I think it looks cheap. So I was planning to make some by cutting down wall cabinets to give me a 5" width interior which I think will fit coffee mugs on one side and wine stuff (our always open BOTA box, some glasses and maybe a few bottles at the very top.

I have a good color match for the Bodbyn gray, and was planning to add a painted a face frame to cover the front edges of the wall cabinet and the front sides of the interior shelves. The painted wood added to the front would add some depth - but it might make sense to build it out to about the same thickness as the door fronts on the surrounding cabinets anyway?

The interior of the cubby's would still be white, but the adjoining cabinets will have glass fronts with the white interior showing through, so I'm hoping the white interior of the cubby cabinets will not look odd.

The frames are $30 each (12" width which would be cut back) and shelves are cheap so the cost would probably be far less than the $60 for the Horda. I was hoping to use these Low Profile Shelf Supports so shelf supports would not be visible - one benefit of the Horda version. I hope they will fit the Ikea shelf holes!

I'm just wondering if anyone sees any flaws in my plan - or if you think the white interiors will look funny. I could always cover the interiors and shelves with paintable veneer or just try to paint them directly, but I'd rather not make this any harder than I have to!

Comment