SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

Kitchen layout advice for a first timer

young-gardener
13 years ago

We are in the beginning stages of planning our kitchen remodel, and I could use some eyes and creative minds. Our space is somewhat akward due to a load bearing opening and an existing wall we will be opening a bit. In addition, the laundry room is in the kitchen, and we need to work around the space that currently takes up.

Our main goals are:

1. Better connection to the dining room, making it feel more like one space

2. Mix of storage: open, closed, glass front

3. Functional placement of counter space (we have a "dead" zone at present)

4. Casually elegant.

5. Warm and inviting space for family and friends.

6. Fairly DIY friendly.

7. Style in keeping with the house (1940's cottage in historic district....we're nestled among pre-war mansions)

8. Good lighting.

9. Views from front to rear of house.

Changes/Stationary notes:

1. We are willing to move gas/plumbing/etc, but hope that we won't have to do lots of big moves of gas/water lines.
  2. We are willing to part with the "breakfast" space since we don't use it now, but we are also open to keeping it as that.
  3. Our plan was to keep the windows as they are, but we would consider replacing them if it would be a huge help to the room.
  4. We will be opening the wall to the dining room, widening the doorway to the library, and closing the door to the bedroom.

Function Ideas:

1. Zones instead of triangle

2. Space for rolling dough

3. Space for chopping/prep

4. We use mainly fresh produce, and I bake our bread. So, prep space is important. We eat largely at home.

5. Room for two....with children possible in the years ahead.

6. Food storage!!

7. Would love space for my cookbooks, but I'm willing to keep them in the library

Appliances:

1. Keeping existing french door fridge (would LOVE to recess it)

2. Purchasing a 36" range

3. Would like a large, single bowl farm sink

4. Have an existing DW that we will use for a while longer before getting what we really want
  2. Plan to do a true hood, not MW, over the range

Other notes...I have a dislike for peninsulas. I know, I know...stubborn woman. We are relaxed, laid back in our entertaining. I really enjoy having the sink under a window, but I'm open to change. DH and I both cook. We don't drink coffee, and I don't need a snack space. I hope to keep the MW out of the way, because I rarely use it. We plan to work with IKEA cabinet boxes and fronts, with modifications as needed. Posting all this scares me to DEATH! :)

Inspiration:

Spaces that inspire me: jbrodie, amberley, histokitch, brickmanhouse, among many others

The Proposed Wall Plan

Pics of Current Spaces

ahead- wall to remove (open to dining)

left- to bedroom. straight ahead, to dining

doorway to close off

breakfast (laundry to stay on left. doorway to library on right to be widened)

dining-- wall on right goes to kitchen and will be removed. The furniture isn't staying. We won't furnish this room until after the remodel, so the use of space is flexible.

existing house plan/flow

-

kitchen behind photographer. standard width doorway on left leads to living room

THe question:

What would be a good use of the space with the wall changes we have coming? I've played with several layouts and haven't fallen in love with anything yet.

Have I left out any important details?

Comments (24)