SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

Layout questions - I can't figure out the best use of space

queensinfo
7 years ago

I have been hesitant to post my layout until i thought i had something decent planned. After playing around for a long while, i don't think that is going to happen without help. I need to price cabinets to establish a budget. To price cabinets, i need a close to final layout. The good folks here helped a lot with my prior renovation and i have been reading up and following along as to the current postings as i think about this new one. This layout is a little tough because of the width of the kitchen, the uneven start of the kitchen and the rawness of the space.

Some background:

I have uploaded an existing layout and some pictures to help. My main goal is better functionality and to remove the wall between the kitchen and dining room. We are a family of 4 with our kids being elementary school aged. I like the idea of a counter they can do their homework on or watch/help cook. currently, school lunches and cooking are a pain due to the fridge path being through the main cooking area. Cleanup is a nightmare because only the dishwasher or fridge can be open but not both. Also, when either one of these is open, it blocks the entry into the kitchen from the narrow hallway (currently made worse by the non-counter depth fridge protruding into the opening. The house is 20' wide and i am in NYC where space is at a premium and everything costs way too much. I understand typical aisle widths and counter overhangs but NYC doesn't seem to generally follow those rules. I don't like either of the floors in the house and would hope to change them both (but will be definitely changing the kitchen floor if the reno proceeds). The soffits are hollow (except for the one with the range vent pipe to outside). There is an unmovable vent pipe on the left side, which currently has a modified cabinet. I believe the pipe is 4".

Some thoughts:

I want to flip the dishwasher and sink to the living room wall (bad idea to have the gas range on that side i assume). I can't do induction and electric is a big detractor up here. I have been toying with a wider fridge as i don't see any option other than counter depth/built in and we are used to the capacity of the deep fridge we have now (nowhere to recess a standard fridge and i think it would look bad on the right wall). I like the 36" or bigger ranges but not the price (who does). Most likely would end up with both standard sized but have planned the bigger range in this layout. I have a drop ceiling in the basement and the one contractor i have had look at the space thought the appliance move wouldn't be a problem or too costly. We cannot change the walls at the bottom of the kitchen or the location of the door to the terrace. the wine fridge idea is not mandatory at all and i am not sure of the standard undercounter sized ones. I would love to close the terrace door and make that area a pantry but this is a brick and block built place and i think that wouldn't be possible so have ruled that out for now.

Questions:

does there need sink need to be centered between the cabinets on the left wall?

I have been following the pantry threads and it got me thinking that drywall may be better than a cabinet panty price wise (maybe with a door made to match the cabinets?). Since the space is narrow i assume it would need to have shelves on two of the walls to make the most of the space. I would prefer a microwave drawer to get it off the counter - we can add ventilation to the outside through the top wall. I would like an overhang and don't think it can be more than 8 or 9 inches given the width of the dining room, stools are fine.

Sorry for the long post, but i tried to address questions that i know will come up. If anyone want the pdf site plans i "created" let me know and i can email them over.

Existing layout below

proposed layout

Pictures to help visualize.

View into kitchen from bottom of page through hallway - note the too deep fridge (and not the mess on it). you can see the far back corner where i have proposed the fridge and pantry. this is set up to be an eat in kitchen but we never use it for that (except for the kids table).

View of kitchen from other direction (ignore the mess of wires).

view into kitchen from dining room entrance (will be taking down the wall to right of this door.

View of dining room in the event it helps picture the space. each floor square is 1 ft.

Be kind!

Comments (19)