SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenacres32

Banking

7 years ago

Anyone else not happy with your bank or credit union?

Comments (32)

• 7 years ago

Nope, have been with Wells Fargo since 1984. and every so often I check the services available. I like that the branches are in many places near me. I'm happy.

• 7 years ago

I belong to both. No complaints.

• Related Discussions

Comfortable, pretty soaking tub that won't break the bank?

Q

Comments (8)
    Does it have to be freestanding? IMO that’s the opposite of comfortable. Can it be a drop-in with a decking surround? That’s really comfy because it’s easier to get in and out, there’s a nice ledge to put your candle, products and tea cup or wine glass on, and it’s easier to clean.
    ...See More

HELP with steep bank/hill landscaping ideas

Q

Comments (5)
    Landscaping a steep bank or hill often requires heavy machinery, not just for the initial grading but also for maintaining stability and preventing erosion. It’s a task that can certainly benefit from some of the same power and precision found in the mining industry. In fact, on a much larger scale, the world's biggest mining excavators are used to move earth efficiently and safely in challenging conditions, similar to what homeowners might face on a difficult landscape project. If you're curious about the capabilities required to transform land on a grand scale, taking a look at these giants of the excavation world could offer some awe-inspiring insights.
    ...See More

I know a bank where the wild thyme grows...

Q

Comments (3)
    My local hardy plant society offers the same thing, and they used it as an incentive to get me to join as a member a few years ago. Now remember, I was new to this kind of thing and didn’t understand the “fierceness” which they do it. So I was maybe 2 days past their deadline, and I sent an email asking how it worked, and if I could still submit a request. I was abruptly told I had missed the deadline, it was too late, and better luck next year. I was like, okay, I never knew these intense rules, and backed away. Put a sour taste in my mouth. A month or so later they told the group they had all this extra seed available which they were again offering, but my interest was quashed. I rode out the remainder of my membership in that group with little to no participation - and never renewed.
    ...See More

Modern Outdoor Sectionals that don’t break the Bank

Q

Comments (0)
    We’re looking for a Modern OUTDOOR Sectional for the deck. Canadian climate (-30 to +36C), no sun/rain cover from above (but can be covered for the snowy winter). Ideally Aluminum given durability. Definitely no Wicker/Plastic Wicker as I absolutely hate that look. Goal would be to be able to comfortably lay down but as well to sit. Long and low pillows desired but not mandatory. Generally prefer low over high. Below some examples. Thanks so much!
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

I'm totally happy with mine of many years. It's a smaller bank with a total of 11 branches. We have two checking accounts, money market, couple of our IRAs there.

I'd banked a large national bank before that, it had changed hands a couple of times and became Key. I didn't like the fees associated with Key, and moved all down the block to my present bank.

• 7 years ago

I have been in a snit about my bank since this past winter. A family emergency cropped up and a daughter came from another state to help out. I wrote a check made out to her to cash at the branch bank located inside the super market where she was to shop. They charged her $7 to cash that check! The next time I went I requested the manager and told him how disappointed I was---we have been a customer of that bank for over 50 years and have thousands of dollars on deposit there. He was not to be moved, saying that that was the policy. Now I know for a fact that any teller could have waived that fee because I have talked to other banking professionals who said so. A few months later I was called by this bank---they were taking a survey. After answering their questions I laid out my story and was told it would be forwarded to the right department. And that was the end of that. Every time I go in I feel grouchy. And yes, I could switch all my accounts to another bank but the handiness of the location and my age,83, make me not want to do that. So here I am, still rankled by what I consider the gouging of a long time customer.

• 7 years ago

I am extremely not happy with my mortgage company BOA for holding our fema insurance money hostage and causing us such difficulty and stress in completing our home repairs. They should want it repaired as quickly as possible like we do. The mortgage companies are profiting greatly from every single person who is going through these disasters. I know what all these poor people in Louisiana and Kansas and the other floods will be facing. Any insurance checks issued to anyone who has an existing mortgage will be made out to the mortgage company and the home owners and then the mortgage company demands they be endorsed and sent to them. They immediately deposit the check into their own account, gain interest, and invest it. Meanwhile the home owners get none of that and none of their money. From that point forward it's to the mortgage companies best interest to delay release of funds because they are profiting from the money for as long as they can hold on to it. Making the home owners jump through a multitude of endless hoops trying to get funds released so they can get to work with repairs. This is still going on with everyone here, all the mortgage companies have this going on. Our flood was April 18 it's now August 22, they are still holding on to a large amount of our money. We were forced to utilize credit cards and hope we will eventually get our money to pay for those costs. People who are not able to get a credit card or a loan from someone are basically screwed. It's the most insane process I have ever encountered and it's flat out despicable that those huge companies are blatantly benefiting greatly from so many people's misfortune and disaster. I know that most of the public has no idea this is happening but it is. Just imagine how much money on interest alone they are making from the thousands of people who have experienced these current disasters. Literally millions of dollars. Why don't I get that interest back on my money if it was in my account it would be mine! Why do they get to keep all of it and any profits from investing my money while they held it. I think there has to be something done to change this situation. They get to make the rules and our hands are tied. There's zero protection for the home owners. Fema stepped up and got our checks to us in a very reasonable time frame. Had we been able to use those funds immediately we would have been back in our house at least a month or more ago. Just imagine being in this situation! And then pray like crazy you never are!

• 7 years ago

We have a checking account with our local (but rapidly expanding) bank -- and another through our brokerage account. No 'savings account'. I don't find the local bank's personnel to be highly intelligent, but we have so few dealings with them that it's unimportant. (I once spent an hour getting some Euros to tuck into a wedding card for a couple who were honeymooning in Italy. The bank *had* Euros, but it took three people to figure out what the exchange rate was.)

• 7 years ago

I really like my bank - TD. They have very convenient hours and many locations.

• 7 years ago

I love my bank - USAA. Will never change, either.

• 7 years ago

I didn't like BOA, customer service at times was not what I thought it should be. Left them around 4 years ago and am happy with my credit union.

• 7 years ago

We are getting ready to leave BOA, with thousands in accounts. Can't tie more than two accounts together to avoid fees. I'm not keeping $1400 in a checking account daily to avoid a fee.

• 7 years ago

I had BOA for a long time, and I hated them. About 8 years ago, I was looking at a new rewards card with them. I already had one with a very high limit and zero balance, but I wanted better options. Anyway, on the phone call about another card, they found out I was temporarily unemployed and cancelled my existing credit card account even though it had zero balance (for many months), and it negatively affected my credit score and I lost a long-standing history, even though I had plenty of money in my accounts. I could understand denying a new card but cancelling one with responsible use is frustrating. Very annoying - I won't use them anymore.

I'm currently with Chase and very happy. We're Private Clients though and I think that takes away a lot of the traditional large bank headaches. They waive a ton of the fees and we have a point person at the bank that we can call directly with any issues.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I pretty much just use my bank to store money to make payments. I only write a few checks per year. so my banking is going to the drive up and depositing cash. I'm grandfathered in with free checking.

DH banks at another bank and his paycheck goes to direct deposit. He stops on the way home and withdraws most of it minus his expense money, and hands me an envelope of cash. Then I redistribute it. It's a joint account but without my name on the checks so I have full access if need be. Savings are in a credit union.

Mortgage is paid off. Had all sorts of problems when we had a mortgage. Ended up being part of a class action lawsuit and we got a decent settlement. We were second on the plaintiff list.

Years ago when my father died I was left in charge of the estate. Living trust designating me. I was a signer on the account and had all the paperwork etc. Used to do most of his banking for him. Everyone knew me. Once he died they acted like I was a stranger. Made me jump through hoops for every dollar. I learned to bring all the paperwork on each visit. It was still "we have to run it by legal". The day I was able to cut through the red tape I withdrew every cent. There were several 100,000 dollars involved. Took it all out, flipped them the bird and reinvested it at a bank that treated me right.

• 7 years ago

JoanE do you have an ATM card? Your DD could have used that in the banks machine for no charge.

We have been with what was Washington Mutual (now Chase) since early 1990's. No problems. Just checking and savings though.

Our CC is through BOA.

• 7 years ago

Why do you ask, Anne? Are you having trouble?

Just a little factoid: For those who complain about bank tellers, know they are poorly paid in relationship to their responsibility--$10-12 an hour.

• 7 years ago

Should have given your daughter cash. Unusual for a bank to even cash a check for an out of state person.

Too many banks are staffed by individuals like chisue describes. I have low demands and low expectations but they still manage to screw things up every so often. Depending on what it is, sometimes I let it slide, sometimes I'll move the accounts.

Because of the caliber of people many have, individual employees (even managers) tend to have little power and little discretion beyond following rules in black and white

• 7 years ago

Very unhappy with BOA, who holds our mortgage. Very happy with our local bank.

• 7 years ago

Been with Wells Fargo for 30+ years. Happy with them.

Happy with the credit union that has my car loan.

• 7 years ago

If so many people are so unhappy why do they stay there? Aren't there other options? I've apparently been unusually fortunate in my banking experiences. I closed down the credit union account a long time ago because I didn't need the second checking account anymore. Prior bank was OK but not convenient. I've been with the current place 35-40 years now and frankly couldn't be much happier. Branches open 7 days a week, branches in the bigger grocery chain in the area, online banking and bill paying is great. They will mail a check to places who don't have electronic transfer so I don't even pay the postage and related costs. I specify a deliver by date and if it gets there late the bank will pay any penalties should it arrive late. Tellers are always friendly and helpful, ATMs available all over the place. What's not to like? Even if I move, I'll still keep the bulk of my banking here because of the convenience and exceptional history.

• 7 years ago

I am not complaining about tellers but the credit union itself. They are archaic and I am now since last Friday awaiting a call about an issue with online banking. Guess another hour on hold today to get an oh gosh I can't help you! I have an appointment with a local bank today. Credit union branch staff is great but I don't want to drive an hour to bank, and the banking app and online is always on the fritz

• 7 years ago

An hour on hold at a credit union? That's unacceptable. Good luck finding a better institution to help you. I love credit unions but they have to be good!

• 7 years ago

Banks.....blah!.....don't get me started.

• 7 years ago

Someone mentioned that you must leave $XX in a checking account to avoid fees. Say the required deposit is $1500, and the checking account service fee is $10/month. That's $120 return on your $1500 deposit in a year. That's an 8% rate. If you can get 8% elsewhere right now, be my guest. But it's a darned nice return for all the free services I get.

• 7 years ago

Well, Elmer, if I had had cash on hand, I wouldn't have had to write a check.

• 7 years ago

Joan

For a contested $7 fee, they don't want your business.

• 7 years ago

I love my little credit union. They don't charge a fee for anything and I don't have any minimum balance requirements. If I use the ATM card out of network they will refund up to two fees a month. If you don't like your bank, shop around. There's plenty of competition at least in my neck of the woods.

• 7 years ago

I too love our little credit union. Like Fran, it's fee free, we never pay a cent for anything and only a 5.00 share account balance is required. They have friendly service, a great website experience, an easy banking app and we can get money for free from any Credit Union ATM anywhere in the US. Most importantly, when our account was wiped out by a thief who stole my atm number, they were very kind to us and had the funds returned immediately without any additional stress. We've been with them for 10 years now and have no intent on ever leaving.

I agree too that anyone not satisfied with the service they get should shop around for something new. There are so many options.

• 7 years ago

I'm just wondering Lindsey, do you ever have anything supportive or positive and less argumentive to offer?. Sure would be nice to see for a change.

• 7 years ago

We belong to 3 credit unions. One of them since 1970, one since 2005 and the last one since 2014. Very happy with all of them!

The longest one is where DH's paychecks were deposited and was close to us then. We moved up north and opened an account at the local CU. Then got a great deal for interest on my new minivan at the third one, just had to open an account with them!

The minimum we have to keep in each share account is $5.00.

Love our credit unions!

• 7 years ago

I thought lindsey's comments were useful and not negative or argumentative at all, especially considering she was responding to someone who said she's been angry FOR MONTHS about $7 and a situation she doesn't seem to understand well. lindsey's usually well-informed.

My experience has been that many credit unions are like small banks run by amateurs, and while banks are run (mostly) by people who know the banking business, they seem to realize they have trouble hiring enough capable people and so they must limit how much leeway (almost to zero) they allow employees to exercise.

• 7 years ago

I'm happy with my bank, no issues ever.

• 7 years ago

lukkiirish, just what exactly is your problem with me? This is not the first time you have singled me out for a negative comment.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012