SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_gabriel

Spacing of cabinets around windows

7 years ago

We have a construction start date in mid-late September. Using IKEA cabinets so still some room to make returns/adjustments (although pretty inconvenient). Looking more closely at the measurements, the cabinet spacing is not equal around the window. I'm pretty sure that is going to be off-putting once it's in. Right side of the sink has 4" from the edge of window frame to cabinet; left side has 6 inches. There is about 7 inches on the other (left) side of the floating horizontal cabinets.

Should I switch the cabinet to the right of the window from 18" to 15" (giving 7" from the window) and shift the horizontals over one inch to equalize them? Or, keep the 18" cabinet and move the horizontals two inches closer to the window? It ended up this way b/c I asked for the horizontals to be split along the inside peninsula line. Even spacing around the window seems more important.

All the upper doors along the right side are 15", except that one 18".

Is there a typical amount of space around window to aim for? I do not like the window feeling closed in but is 6" too much?

Comments (16)