SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saph8705

Dead rhododendron - re-plant? New shrub?

Mich A
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all,

I bought two beautiful rhods from Costco this spring and planted them to flank an arborvitae. Throughout the summer, they appeared to be doing well, when about a month ago, one started doing poorly. I'm in southern MI and it's been a very hot, dry summer. I have been giving the plants water about every other day; it may have been too much, as this spot is shady almost all day with dappled late day sun from about 5:00 p.m. to sunset.

I think it might have suffered from root rot, though I'm not positive. No surrounding plants seem at all impacted, and were in the same conditions.

Anyway...

Two questions:

1. Some relatives of mine are suggesting I leave it in and see if it comes back. It looks very dead to me - dropping all leaves, wood turning all brown. Should I take it out?

2. I really would ideally like another one there; I like the idea of two smaller evergreen shrubs flanking the arborvitae all winter. However, I read that if one plant suffers root rot, the fungus is in the soil, and planting another one could be bad. Thoughts? If I don't plant another, what is another small evergreen shrub I could try? Looking for two of the same type of plant on either side of the arborvitae (I can relocate the healthy rhod if needed).

See photos... thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (16)