SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoerosehill2

Lost 2 large koi in the last 2 days-can anyone help? I am desperate

We have a 5,000 gallon pond. A large pump pumps water a foot into the air, and then it falls down into the water. The weather for the past 3 weeks has been in the 90s. No rain for a month, but we were adding to the water from our well. We have had some rain for the past 3 days. I know the oxygen level falls at night- but for the life of me, I am not understanding what is happening. The pond is seriously overcrowded with goldfish-we had around 8 koi. ( I am waiting till the weather cools off in Sept to catch some goldfish and set them loose in a pond at a local winery- we know the owner and he said it would be fine) The largest koi that died was a butterfly koi, the other that I found this morning was a beautiful orange one that was slightly smaller at 12".

I had to leave early this morning and babysit my grand daughters in another city, so I instructed my husband to drain some water and add some new- I know that cold water has more oxygen. He also cleaned the pump impellers and lowered the water level in the pond, so that the water goes higher into the air- in hopes that there will be more oxygen. I just got home-it is 8:30 pm. Should I go out and check the ph level and see if it is high? I have some vinegar that I can add if it would help. Is it barometric pressure that is doing this? I don't know what else to do. I feel so helpless.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths