SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Would anyone leave 2 cats alone for 5 days?

lizzie_nh
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a dilemma. I know this general question has been answered before, but I am looking for new responses to my specific details.

I have two cats - brother and sister, 6 years old. My husband and I travel often, and usually bring the cats to my parents' house (which is less than ideal, anyway, since it's a 2.5 hour car ride away and on top of that my cats have to deal with my parents' two cats.) We just haven't wanted to board them - the cats get so stressed even going to a familiar but different environment that I don't think they could deal with even the best kennel (one where they could be together, get playtime during the day, etc..)

We recently were gone for only a long weekend - Saturday morning through Monday afternoon. We left them at home with a clean litterbox, two self-feeders for food, and two self-waterers. They had plenty of places in the house to roam, and we left blinds up in their favorite windows so they could sit in the sills... we left some upstairs windows open so they could get fresh air. They also got plenty of sunlight in the kitchen, where the patio door is not covered in any way so it's basically a wide floor-to-ceiling window. Our house is on a large lot surrounded by trees, so the cats have a lot to look at.

We came back on Monday and the cats were just lounging, and didn't seem stressed. They didn't even seem unusually happy to see us, even though they are extremely affectionate cats.

Later this month, we have to go to a family event across the country and my parents will also be attending. We really don't know any of our neighbors and none of our coworkers or friends live close enough by to check in on the cats. Boarding them may be the only option... but I am wondering if anyone thinks it would be okay to leave them alone for 5 days, with all of the above precautions taken? We would leave even more self-feeders and self-waterers, and at least one more litter box.

Thanks!

Comments (33)