SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Concrete subfloors in 1920's home?

nhb22
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I recently looked at an older home built in 1922. When in the basement, we were surprised that the realtor pointed out that the subfloor above us (the first floor) was made of concrete. It looks as if big wide boards had been lain, and then the concrete poured on top. Then the boards were removed. We can see the impression of wood grain all across the underside of the concrete. I am not sure of the second floor subflooring.

The finished floors in the house are random width oak, I believe. It could be dark stained heart pine. (See not-so-clear photos)

1st Floor

2nd Floor

Anyway, we just wanted to know if this was typical construction back in the day and if there are any negatives we should be aware of should we decide to purchase the home?

On the 2nd story, we were thinking of turning a couple of the small servants bedrooms into a Master bath and closet. They are located next to an existing bathroom. This would involve plumbing and electrical issues. There was a recent remodeling of another bathroom on this same floor. Again, not sure if that 2nd story has these concrete subfloors, but even if not, we would still have to deal with the 1st floor concrete subfloor to get the plumbing and electrical to the basement (which by the way, was completely finished out a few years ago.

Thank you for any information.

Comments (19)