SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericatx

Lawn Aeration - Pflugerville, TX

Eric ATX
7 years ago

So I aerated my lawn over the weekend (approx. 10,000 sq.ft.), and I thought I would share my experience to help others that may be considering this.

First off, my irrigation system is set to start at Midnight Saturday, and run until around 9:00-10:00am in the morning. When I checked the radar late Friday night, it looked like we were going to get a decent amount of rain, so I turned my irrigation system off. It turns out that we got very little rain overnight, and I should have let the system run. Because it wasn't raining, and it looked like it was going to hold off for a while, I decided I would proceed with aeration, and I went ahead and picked up the aerator at Home Depot tool rental. Because the ground did not get hardly any rain, and the irrigation system didn't run, the ground was extremely hard. This was my first time using an aerator, so I wasn't sure how it would handle the hard ground. It turns out that it didn't work well at all on hard ground, and it barely made a dent in the soil (clay soil). So what I ended up having to do, is run the irrigation system in a particular zone for a period of time, let it soak in, then aerate that section while the next section was being watered. This made for a very long day of aerating! I was about 75% complete, when it started raining. The good news is I didn't have to water the next couple of zones, as Mother Nature was doing it for me. I finally did finish aerating in between rain showers, and I hope to see results in the next few weeks.

My advice to anyone who is going to attempt this for the first time would be to make sure your ground is soft before attempting. The only other thing I would add, is that even though the machine basically propels itself, it still does take quite a bit physically to manhandle the equipment. Of course it could just be that I am out of shape? I originally estimated that it would take me approximately 3-4 hours to aerate 10,000 sq.ft., and it ended up taking all day. Primarily due to having to water prior to aerating, and a little extra time waiting for it to stop raining.

Comments (2)