SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgarafa1

Have Questions And Need Input On A New Attic A/C Installation

dgarafa1
7 years ago

I'm looking to install a central a/c system in my home and have some preliminary questions and need some guidance.

First, here's a little background on the home.

- located in central NY which has relatively short summers and fairly long winters
- L shaped ranch house with about 1,900 sf
- heating and hot water is provided with a 4 year old oil fired Buderus boiler and boiler mate. The heat is supplied through baseboard units
- currently there is no a/c or duct work so it is a completely new installation
- the crawl space type attic is accessed through an opening in the garage ceiling and covers the entire footprint of the house
- house was built in early 70's and has 3 1/2" insulation in the walls a 12" in the attic

My current thinking is:

- I do not want to install a mini-split system because my wife and I could not live with the addition of the power and coolant lines running on the outside of the house.

- Based on my limited knowledge I'm thinking an air handler type system mounted in the attic makes the most sense as much more aesthetically pleasing and more effective in providing cooling to all parts of the house

I'm planning to ask for estimates from 4-5 HVAC contractors but have some initial questions from the experienced folks on this forum that I believe would be helpful

My questions are:

1. Am I likely to save money with the total installation if I have it done in the fall or early winter when its cooler in the attic for the workers and new installs might be a little slower

2. I've read some comments on the internet by HVAC contractors stating they would never consider putting a a/c system in a hot attic. Isn't it done all the time in the southern and western states where there are no basements?

3. I'm considering Trane/American Standard, lennox and Rheem. Are these all good quality brands?

4. So far I've spoken with 2 contractors and one said they install rigid pipe and the other said they only use flexible pipe to make the runs between the air handler and the diffuser. Which is better or preferred?

5. What might the approximate cost range be to install a completely new system in the attic crawl space?

I would appreciate your thoughts, comments and suggestions

Thank you

Dom

Comments (16)