SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Do you have 2-in-1 cellular shades? Do you like them?

Jane
7 years ago

I just installed a Levolor transformations shade. It has blue light filering fabric on the top and cream room-darkening fabric on the bottom. It has a blue header and blue pull bars. It is just as I ordered it. But I'm having a problem falling in love with it. (Maybe it's because I don't like window coverings.)

You can adjust how much of each fabric you want to show. Kind of like an adjustable colorblocking effect.

I thought the blue could be a pretty extension of my white wood valance. The cream would make a nice backdrop for the TV which is partially in front of the window. It's effective at removing the glare from the TV which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I guess I was a little disappointed in the room darkening fabric. It is more yellow than the corresponding light filtering color which was beautiful. But I don't know if I would have picked a different color had I known.

Or maybe it's the graduated pattern of the pleats that bugs me a little. They are more scrunched up near the bottom of each bar.

Or maybe I should have picked two colors that were more similar. I don't think they let you pick the same color for both sections since they often don't match that well.

I liked it better after I hung some of my pictures on the wall, because they repeated the colors and balanced out the color distribution.

The thing I love about these shades is the small profile. When they are completely retracted under my white wood valance, there is only 3" blue-bordered cream stripe under the valance. Very clean and doesn't block the view.

If I extend the top a bit, I get a pretty blue stripe across the top of the window. I needed color up there since I removed the fabric valance I had before I trimmed out the window.

I also like being able to lighten up the room by exposing more light filtering shade. (I did not do top-down-bottom-up because the window would have let it too much light creating a glare.)

So I think after I frame it a bit with more decor, I won't mind it so much. Functionally it is perfect. But it seems a little "off" aesthetically. Is it the color combination, or the fabric differences (room-darkening vs light-filtering), or the variations in pleats, or the color-blocking concept, or the cream room-darkening color, or should I just have gone with light-filtering in one color?

I just lowered it to the light-filtering blue all the way, and I think I like that better, but there is a smell amount of glare on the TV.

Do you have these 2-in-1 types of cellular shades? Do you like them? What colors did you pick?

Comment