SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherrylime

Remodel or update?

cherrylime
7 years ago

Hello all,

Background first as it's integral to the question at hand:

My father in law passed away unexpectedly recently and that leaves my mother in law alone in a 2,000+ sqft home on a little more than 3 acres at near 70 years old. My husband and I have almost all of a kitchen remodel sitting in our garage ready to go in during his off time from school (which is now) and now we're sitting on the choice of selling our home to move down there with MIL or not.

We are leaning towards selling and moving since the home is also my husband's childhood home and we both know that's what his father would want but then the next choice is to either update the kitchen (paint, hardware, etc) or finish the remodel for selling. The in-laws house definitely needs updating and while larger, I can order more cabinets to fit the space to match what we've already bought.

My current house is only 10 years old so nothing is in disrepair, just outdated in my opinion. So the question for the more experienced is should I go ahead with the remodel or just update the kitchen as it is? Also, I don't know if this will make a difference in opinions, but my house is paid off as well. Thanks so much.

Comments (9)