SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jweingarden

Ficus Retusa Pruning Advice

Jon
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all,

Any advice for pruning my Retusa. I love the trunk on this tree, so I brought it home despite the fact it had just lost some leaves. It lost a few more getting situated here, but seems to be recovering and growing new leaves.

Another member suggested doing a last pruning to keep the top in check over winter, while allowing growth to go to lower branches. I spent some hours staring at the tree trying to make sense of the chaos of branches going in each direction. I started by removing dead twigs, some of the inside & crossing growth, and the growth terminals at the apex of the plant to push growth toward lower branches. I did not remove the growth terminal on lower branches, only the upward and crossing growth. I also wired a few of the lower branches, but I still need advice pruning the top of the plant. Here are some pics, followed by some questions:

Side view after removing some dead and inside growth:

Front view, after a bit more trimming:

The three trunks:

I'd appreciate any advice you have, but particularly:

• To my eye, I see three trunks competing. I think I'd prefer 1 main trunk. The one I like the most is in the center, but slightly behind the other two. It really "competes" with the one that is front & slightly to the right of it. I don't mind the trunk on the left, that developed a little lower on the plant, but I'd prefer it as a branch: its a bit too thick and tall, and possibly too vertical. I'm think of whacking all three way back, possibly completely removing the one competing with the trunk I want to be the main trunk.
  • Aside from the trunks, any advice regarding how far back I should prune other growth at the top? Is simply cutting off the terminal enough, or should I trim back further.

My worry with any of this is stressing the tree too much, given the recent move and fall is coming. Should I prune more now, or wait until spring? If trim now, to what degree?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths