SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xlea

Ficus Retusa - Specifics on Growing/Potting/Soil Mix/Pruning

xlea
17 years ago

Hi all,

I have a ficus retusa approx. 6-8 years old. I've had my eye on this plant for a many months now, finally decided to purchase it last week and want to do all I can to help it mature beautifully.

I have read several of the threads on this site and a few of you quickly direct others to Jerry, the "bonsai expert/hunk's" site. I have been there and I have read his sparce forum. His website is NOT as helpful as many make it out to be, which is why I am here. And I would like to have the opinion of all of you.

My questions at the moment have to do with potting the plant. Its current container (about 4" in diameter) is, I feel, restricting the growth of the trunk and roots. I want the plant to grow at least 4 or 5 times its size right now, eventually expose the root structure and develop extensive aerial roots.

Here is a picture of it to help: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v653/765/?start=#imgAnch1

I have read several articles saying two utterly different things and am confused about potting. Should I:

a) increase the pot size (and by how much) to develop the trunk and roots?

or

b) place it in a shallow (bonsai) pot so that the roots bunch and develop above the surface?

I've read that the greater the space, light and leaves, the faster it will grow. I know ficus are fast growers also. I also know that too much space will lead to root rot and the plant should not be in direct sun.

I also know there are many species of ficus, and I don't necessarily need basic information on how to treat a bonsai. I currently have a juniper bonsai in my yard. What I'm looking for is specific information on ficus retusa - the space it needs, and in what kind of pot I should place it in now seeing as I would like it to grow a little more.

Thanks very much.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES