SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluecone

Potting soil and air pruning for Cedar (Cedrus) seedlings

bluecone
12 years ago

What soil should I plant seeds of Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica) and Cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus libani) in? Either brand name or mix instruction with percentage of each component would be great. I tried peat moss, and it was a disaster: at the point where the stem becomes root, they would turn brown and wither. I did a little reading and found out that this is a common problem called damping off.

In a related question, if I start to see damping off again, what anti-fungal spray should I use?

And finally, are conifers (cedars specifically) OK when grown in "air-pruning" pots? Air pruning is when you keep pots that have many holes in an elevated location so that any roots that stray outside of the soil through the holes dry off and die. This supposedly encourages root branching and delays pot-bound roots from strangling themselves, but I can't imagine it's very healthy for conifers that rely on a strong tap root.

The nursery below is apparently growing several conifers in air pruning pots, so I guess it does work... What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nursery that grows conifers in air pruning pots

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!