SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennb_gw

ficus retusa woes

kennb
11 years ago

I have this lonely little ficus retusa that was always a "charlie brown christmas tree" as it was kinda ugly, but it had leaves and branches and I thought was rather unique. Over time it's lost a lot of it's leaves, the branches have died, and it keeps getting worse. I water it when the soil is dry and it was getting better for a while, but I didn't do it much good last year when I thought I should repot it into a bigger pot, which caused it to lose a lot of it's roots, because I'm an idiot and broke up the big clump of dirt and roots when I removed it from the original pot and most of the roots broke off. It didn't seem to be getting any better, maybe a little worse in the new pot. So this spring I put it back in it's original pot and mixed potting soil with some bonsai stuff (sorry don't remember the name) which helped keep the soil loose. Unfortunately about a week ago I had a fan in the window it was sitting next to and the fan jumped out of the window and knocked it over, knocking it out of the pot. The tree has little to no roots now, and is probably destine to finally die if I don't do anything about it. It has a grand total of three leaves and about two live branches left.

So I'm wondering if I can take it out of the pot, put it in a clear container with some water and try to root it like any other plant, maybe with a tiny amount of fertilizer? I live in an apartment so I can't put it in a window that gets a lot of sun, but I do have a window that gets a good 4-5 hours of direct sunlight throughout the day. I'd be willing to put up some kind of grow lights to help it a long.

Much to my surprise I do have at least two (out of five) Japanese pine trees that have started to sprout in a bigger pot, and I'm thinking of trying to move them to proper starting containers. I should have done that originally when I planted them but to be honest I didn't think they'd sprout. The pot isn't the best environment for them. I didn't fill it up with a lot of soil and when I water them it's splashing around and moving the soil, making craters and burying the little fellas. The others might be sprouting too but they may have been covered up.

I'm so new at this it's almost sad, so excuse my newbieness! But I do have a small lucky bamboo display on my desk at work and that thing is doing great! At least there's something I haven't killed yet. :)

I'll post some pictures later of my sad little tree later. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH