SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanyag_gw

Ficus Retusa thriving but...

17 years ago

I have a ficus retusa that started its life as a mallsai so to speak. (from HD). It only measures about 2 inches from soil to tip of trunk and the limbs extend about 4-5 inches beyond that. The trunk is kind of columnar and then narrows severely at the top from where all of the branches extend. The thing is, it is the same today that it was two years ago when I bought it short of a little more ramification of branches and more leaves. The pot is about 2" square and about 3" tall. Does anyone know how to get these things to grow taller? I thought when they pruned the top they must have put something on it to keep it from growing any further. Do they grow from the top or from the base? I always thought the base kept growing from the soil line up. At least that is what it appears to be doing on my two oak seedlings that have going. So here's my thought -- if I chopped off the top would it start putting vertical height? Could I plant it in the ground to make it start growing. I thought maybe pot size was keeping it small. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It is otherwise healthy and always putting out new leaves. I just want it to grow "up".

Comments (3)

Sponsored