SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kariaptgarden

Ficus Lyratas in need of growth and health

KariAptGarden
9 years ago

Hello!

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but the more info I give, the less you have to guess!
After having my Ficus Lyratas for 7 months, I have scoured for information on helping them thrive in my apartment. This website (especially Al's wealth of endless knowledge) has the absolute most comprehensive information on these beauties. So I am writing in hopes of getting some customized input to help them be as happy and healthy as possible after some hiccups (pretty please!). I will try to do my best in organizing my list of questions.
Firstly, some background. I live in Miami. I purchased them at IKEA (photo included) back in late October 2013.
{{gwi:88258}}
After a month, they were absolutely weak and droopy, as I noticed they would not take water; after A LOT of research, I discovered that the soil was hydrophobic. I sunk them in a bucket with some dishwashing soap overnight and they revived (I could practically hear them gasping for air!)! (Photo included).
{{gwi:88259}}
Since then, I have watered them by sinking them in a bucket until almost no air bubbles come up, and they seem to like it (although after each soak, a bottom leaf routinely falls off, so something must be off...). If I try to water normally, the plants don't seem to be absorbing any of it...
A couple of months ago, we moved. They have survived the move (thank goodness!), but I am constantly worrying about them! We only have North-Easternly facing windows, and they are right by our floor-to-ceiling ones where they get light all day long, with direct sunlight in the morning, until 10:30 AM max. (See pic).
{{gwi:88260}}
I try to mist the leaves every day to keep the moisture up, since we are in an air-conditioned environment (I also open the window for about an hour every day to let fresh air in). Some leaves fall off once in a while, others develop brown spots and/or holes, and they don't display the perkiness/uprightness these plants are known to have (especially towards the bottom).
I re-potted one of them last week, but recently realized I did not make the best choice of potting soil after going through Al's dissertation (love it!), and lazily having used MG Moisture control.
Here are my questions:
1. I would really love for them to grow a lot taller at the trunk and bushier at the top. After a lot of reading, it seems like placing them outdoors for the summer seems like the favorite option for growth, BUT: I live on the 16th floor, which gets a lot of ocean breeze (sometimes even a bit chilly), and I am two blocks away from the ocean (salt in air?). Also, we get A LOT of torrential downpours in Miami during the summer. Do these factors eliminate the option of placing them outside for the summer?
2. To re-pot these specific plants, (with the purpose of root health=happy and thriving growth), do you recommend the gritty mix or the 5:1:1 mix?
3. What does it mean when the buds at the top are not green but brown and dry? (see photo)
{{gwi:88261}}
4. What does it mean when the main trunk/stem is brown all the way to the leaves instead of greening towards the top?
{{gwi:88262}}
5. Is it normal for some leaves to be so heavy that they break from the stem and hang more limply?
{{gwi:88263}}
6. If my plant grows during this summer, will the main trunk below the "Y" at the bottom emerge from the soil and make the tree grow taller? How can I make this happen?
{{gwi:88264}}
6. Do my plants seem sickly in any way from the way they look?
7. Once I re-pot them with more well-draining soil mixture, how often and how much (considering all factors and size) do I need to water them?
8. Any other input/advice?
A couple more pics:
{{gwi:88265}}
{{gwi:88266}}

Thank so much in advance!

Waiting patiently,
Karina

Comments (33)