SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aksnc30

Ficus Retusa excessive leaf dropping

14 years ago

hi all ;)

am knew to the forum so please be gentle! am hoping i can get some help regarding a ficus retusa which i have recently been given as a gift - 2.5 feet in height.

the plant sits in a warm well lit (10) hours of natural light /day and is watered from the top when dry as its too heavy to move easily.

I check water level by inserting chopstick 1 inch into soil for about 5 mins to see if wet / dry.

The soil hasnt been changed from when it was bought (IKEA) although a top layer of bonsai general purpose was added.

plenty of new buds are forming and no sign of disease / infection / parasites that i can tell (no expert here so please dont rule this out!)

however it has been dropping huge amounts of leaves every day, some seem dessicated others are still vivid dark green, and every shade in-between. 50-100 leaves per day.

am at a loss to think what i am doing wrong as i cant believe that this is normal for a healthy retusa.

have also noticed a sandy yellow substance in the soil - not sure what this is....

any help / advice would be greatly appreicated as am hoping to keep this plant for very very long time indeed :)

many thanks

AKS

PS - will try and take a picture and link here in a day or so.

Comments (8)