SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenlaker7

Would like to add small DIY mudroom- just need design

greenlaker7
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The entry we primarily use comes straight into our kitchen. As this is Seattle, it is a huge mess and we hate all the shoes piled up. We'd like to add a very small simple mudroom off the existing exterior door. We do not want a conditioned space. Probably 70 square feet total.

The site is perfect- there is a concrete patio and no windows on the exterior of the house. I could literally put a prefab shed in the spot we want the mudroom and call it a day but of course I want something nicer.

Building is booming in Seattle- nobody has time for me it seems. General contractors have told me flat out it would not be worth their while unless they gouged me. I believe I can handle the bulk of the labor myself- I have famed basement remodels and re shingled roofs before.

What I do need is someone to design a plan that I can work off of- my napkin drawings are not cutting it. I also would like someone to bounce ideas off of (how should I flash the new door etc. ) I have some books on construction and framing that are good, it's mostly making the design and the 'no, you don't want to do that' types of things. How do I find someone like this to assist? I could bite the bullet and teach myself some software, but I don't want to make any rookie mistakes on my house.

Comment (1)