SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solo_voyager18

Lemon Tree Going to Need Pruning Soon and Orange Blossoms

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Part 1:

I have a lemon tree that is going to need pruning soon.
When we bought out place this poor tree looked to be almost dead, only a few scattered leaves on the branches and maybe only 5 or 6 fruit on it.

It had been planted in thin soil over lava rock.
I built the soil around the tree up and leveled it out with cinders and mulch and added dolomite to fix the chlorotic leaves. It had a major branch broken off of it by a tree blown down in a wind storm last year. It made about 8 or 9 fruit last year. It is looking much better this year inspite of all that has happened to it, and has between 2 and 3 dozen fruit on it right now and is still putting out more blossoms.
It appears to be a Meyer lemon from the fruit shape and the continual production of blossoms.

I have not wanted to prune it in order to keep as much leaf on the tree as possible to give as much energy as I could. But, it is doing so much better now that I'm thinking that it might be time to consider pruning it lightly.
Because of my inexperience and the climate here, it very hard to decide when is the best time to do so. I'm looking for advice on pruning this tree.

Part 2:
The Valencia orange tree I posted about before is also still making new blossoms.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4007439/m=23/ok-my-valencia-orange-tree-is-a-keeper-i-wont-kill-it

I'm a bit surprised at its doing this. I am now wondering if it is a Valencia orange. Will a Valencia produce fruit throughout a good portion of the year?

Comments (6)