SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jolene_klassen

My new house plans and elevations Please Critique!

Jolene Klassen
7 years ago

I have spent many hours here gaining knowledge on things to do and things not to do while designing my house. I have posted earlier versions of other plans, but now after 2 years of working back and forth with our architect, I think we've come to the plan that feels right for us. I'll try to give you the relevant information so you can give me feedback, but feel free to ask more questions if I'm missing something. (I'm sorry if these plans are hard to read, I don't know how to make them bigger)

We are a couple in our early thirties, with three children ages 9, 6, and 2. We bought this 5 acre acreage 13 years ago when we got married. The 1970's house that we've lived in till now needs extensive renovations, so we're selling it to a friend who will move it off, leaving us to build our new home in quite much the same location to take advantage of our developed yard.

The front of the house will be facing South, with the East side facing our main backyard where our play center, fire pit, garden, etc. is located. The door off the kitchen will go out onto a large deck, which will include a pergola for shade from the noon sun.

We are located in central Alberta, so we will have a basement. I love farmhouses, and basically any old house, which you can maybe see in my house design. I like individual rooms, with it being just open enough to keep the stuffiness at bay. I'm passionate about my quilting and sewing, so my main floor sewing room is very important, although this room could double as a bedroom if one should be needed on main floor. Some will probably mention the main floor laundry, but since I'm a stay at home mom who does laundry all day whilst cooking, cleaning and sewing, I want it on the main floor, rather than upstairs by the bedrooms.

You may notice my large walk through pantry, which I'm envisioning as a place with lots of open shelves for all my dry goods, but also one wall of countertop for plugging in my dough machine, break maker, ice cream maker, etc. (The drawing has the East window missing from the pantry) The small sink beside the Fridge is the coffee and drinks area.

The bonus room over the garage will be my husbands domain. The mudroom will house lots of hooks and cupboards for coats and shoes, an extra fridge and freezer, and a large sink for washing off muddy boots etc.

Not sure what else I should be adding? I appreciate your time in critiquing this plan.

Comments (26)