SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Healthy roses, and changing my thinking, etc.

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been thinking a lot recently about which roses are the healthiest. I know I need to make changes in the roses I choose to plant. I've been a hybrid tea fanatic, going on thirty years, and while my tastes are definitely changing, old habits are hard to break! I would say of my healthiest roses, probably the most from a single breeder are Kordes , and they do include several hybrid teas: Beverly, Liebeszauber, Royal William Berolina, Sunsprite and Poseidon. Needless to say, I've been trying to find out more about different Kordes roses, and there does not seem to be a shortage of beautiful varieties available in the US. While I've seen several hybrid teas that appeal to me, there are others also that have caught my attention. The Veranda series and Fairytale series, among others. I'm not totally concentrating on Kordes roses, but overall they are among my healthiest. However, I don't want to just consider those, because I do have other varieties that are just as healthy. Our Lady of Guadalupe, Forgotten Dreams, Twilight Zone, Easy Does It, Grande Dame, Souvenir de la Malmaison, and my other established old garden roses, Veteran's Honor and Pink Promise. In the spring many of my roses that had some blackspot have recovered nicely from that, and are doing good, Belinda's Dream, Tiffany, Pink Peace, Julia Child, Double Delight and Perfume Delight.

It's not just a matter of blackspot either, while as far as disease is concerned that is my biggest worry. Some of my roses don't have the vigor it seems like they should, and that is definitely a consideration too. I want roses that are disease resistant and have reasonably vigorous growth.

I don't know what happened to Big Momma, it was one of my healthiest and most vigorous growers for three seasons, and has been terrible this year, it has bloomed some since spring, maybe it will recover, I don't know. I guess I'll have to admit that Peace is a sad specimen here, but I can't help it, I love the blooms. I have a lot to think about between now and 2017 planting time! Although, I am going to try to make changes a little at a time, I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Comments (9)