SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Hard to find products

Oakley
7 years ago

I'm wondering if any of you have a favorite item that's almost impossible to find in the stores, and you have to go online to get it, if the product is still made?

Mine is Handiwipes. Love love love those things. Makes cleaning a lot easier. They're not only useful but they save on paper towel usage and anti-bacterial wipes.

I loathe kitchen sponges and dish rags.

I ordered mine on Amazon today, large package.

Here's what they look like if you've never used them.

Handiwipes

Comments (47)

• Anne
    7 years ago

I think I have gotten them at Dollar General before. When moving into our "new" old houses friend recommended that I go there for mops and cleaning supplies for the first deep clean so I wouldn't feel guilty about throwing them out. Don't know if you have $ General. Maybe WalMart?

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I had to order LED bulbs online today after being told they don't stock the size and color I need at Home Depot or Lowe's. Each place has 9,000 light bulb types (exaggeration), but no PAR 30, warm white, compact LED floods which one would think would be one of the most common types needed...so frustrating.

• Related Discussions

Best way to convert an old sink into a water garden or bog?

Q

Comments (4)
    How much of the rim is above ground level? I had a container water garden last year with a large pot, and never had beetle problems. Is it taking any run off? If the murkiness is just algae and organic growth, and you have no fish, an algaecide might work. If it's taking run off, then you're not going to have much in the way of getting silt and particulates from the water. With my container water garden, I used algaecide to control the algae, mosquito dunks to control the larva, and just emptied and cleaned it once midsummer before refilling.
    ...See More

I want discontinued products :(

Q

Comments (14)
    Melanie -- I'm guessing this must be a shampoo-plus-conditioner. Doesn't matter what shampoo you use (long as you're not using Tide or something that's a serious de-greaser). What does make a difference is the conditioner. In the quest for something NEW! manufacturers are forever dropping good products. I used to use Borghese cosmetics (a Revlon brand). Loved it when Costco started carrying a Borghese slim lipstick w/lipliner in the other end. Whoosh! Gone. Gosh, guys, I'd pay more for it. Just keep making it! DH had comprehensive skin testing done this summer due to some stubborn rashes. The dermatologist had researched thousands of OTC products and made a list noting their AWFUL ingredients. Formaldahyde is a common one but they call it something else. After all, would you knowingly put THAT on your skin? DH's face cleared up just by eliminating some products.
    ...See More

Where can I find product review on Eljer"s Patriot Air Bath

Q

Comments (0)
    I am doing a remodel of our guest bathroom. I am replacing a jetted tub with an air tub. I am having a hard time finding product reviews on Eljer Air Bath Tubs. I know it is an American Standard product but I know nothing about it's performance. Anyone have one? Any suggestions on how to research?
    ...See More

Need help on special HVAC project

Q

Comments (2)
    To begin with I believe you should leave the space heater as is and set the crawlspace system up standing alone and independent. There are t-stats capiable of standing up to wet enviorment. You can find any stat imaginable through hvac parts suppliers. If you want to go low budget,many refrigerator t-stats have multiple switches/contacts,one nc while another is no and vs versa when call is recieved. They are expensive new but can be salvaged from units at the curb free. A fridge stat set to highest is working around 50F, normal is around 38F,at it's coldest is right at 32F. The primary contact is nc and open's on tempature fall. A secoundary set is no and close at same event. If the only stat you can find is absent secoundary contact,add a simple inexpensive nc/no relay. Use proper wire for wet inviroment and fuse circuit below wire rating. If you are concurned about rodent damage to wire,use transformer to set control up with 24volts and fuse.
    ...See More
  • jellytoast
    7 years ago

Pinesol ... the old formula that actually smells like pine can only be purchased online now. The stuff in the stores now labeled "Original" is NOT the original pine scent and smells like cheap men's cologne.

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

Powdered Spic and Span, that stuff cleaned anything, now all I can find is the spray version at dollar stores that doesn't work anywhere near as well. I can't find Handiwipes locally either, love those things too, Oakley.

• Olychick
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Original scent Lysol spray. Can't seem to find it. It seemed unscented, or at least not perfumed.

Eta: since I decided to post this, I realized I'd never googled for it. Apparently it's available as a Professional product at office supply type stores. It shows it's available at Target, but I've never seen it there - oh, it says not sold in stores.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Oakley I'd forgotten all about Handi Wipes - used them all the time for years and then forgot about them when microfiber cloths came along - not the same at all but also useful. I may have to try them again and see if they still have a useful place in my repertoire!

jellytoast - thanks for that heads up on Pinesol - another product I haven't used in years but just learned that it can be used to get rid of carpenter bees which is a new-to-me pest we never had to deal with before we moved south.

I order Bonnie Bell Bronzing Gel online - been using it in various ways since I was a teen which in some ways strikes me as very sad!! At this stage of life I mix a bit it with a BB or CC cream. The combination subtly evens my skin tone the way the BB/CC creams do and the gel adds a touch of tan - I find it very light and natural.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I have found a story that now carries Oxyclean DW detergent in the powder (not pods), but I ordered it a couple of times after originally finding it at Target and them dropping it. Only use about 1T and it cleans better than any other I have used.

• User
    7 years ago

I use Hefty Ultimate Flex (gripper) kitchen trash bags. Hate the lavender and pine breeze scents. Used to find the Clean Burst at WM, but not lately. Finally ordered a year's supply at Jet.com.

Another is Tide's Coldwater liquid for regular machines, not HE. I've been ordering that online for a couple years now.

• User
    7 years ago

CeramaBryte for cleaning glass stove tops. We bought it at one of the big box stores but had to order from Amazon last time.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have a Dollar General and it's very small so I rarely go in there. It's usually hit and miss with items. Walmart and the other grocery store quit selling them a few months ago.

I haven't heard the name Bonne Bell in a long time! With winter coming...kind of, I ordered these from Amazon. After reading the reviews they will definitely be used. I keep balm in every room in the winter.

Bonne Bell Lip Smackers

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I get handi-wipes at Target. Pinesol! Oh I can't bear that scent. It smells like vomit to me. LOL

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

Hahaha, one person's clean fresh pine scent is another's vomit. So many customers were up in arms about the "new" pine scent that the manufacturer relented and started producing the original again for online purchase only. Now the new stuff, I agree ... gag!!!

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Mine is a particular eye shadow that Clinique discontinued without even consulting me. That's what I get for falling in love with an eyeshadow and not stockpiling it while I could. I have been seriously looking for something to take its place and most of them get returned to Macy's. Recently I found a Bobbi Brown color that's the closest so far, but still not My Love.

Well, lo and behold, My Love lives on eBay and I bought it. It won't last forever, but then, neither will I.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I thought Febreeze used to be unscented. I tried to get some recently and they were all heavily perfumed. I wasn't looking to mask odor or add fragrance!

I can only get my portable vacuum bags online.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

I think Febreeze started making an unscented one again for people with fragrance sensitivities. Wasn't that supposed to be the whole point of an odor eliminator, lol? I have only seen the stinky scents in my store.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Dawn power disolver original in the blue spray bottle. It's just amazing stuff I can't imagine why it's not available now. Every one is looking for it online. Way expensive.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/302027523208?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=a3c485e42fb34b91874ebd0ce038754a&pid=100338&rk=7&rkt=19&sd=361651305553&_trksid=p2352135.c100338.m3726&_mwBanner=1 And Morton salt company Epsom salt lotion. Again awesome product but they quit making it. The original lysol in the brown glass bottle hard to find it. I used to get this can of leather cleaner and conditioner, aresol, best stuff for using on my leather furniture don't remember the name it's been so long since I was able to get it. The last place I saw it was at Ace Hardware. I use lexol on most of my leather goods but I really liked that stuff. Some hair products I used to use for curly hair that would make it curl up so easy just put it in wet hair and scrunch. I can't for the life of me remember the name but I have not seen it in years. I hate when I find something I really like and they quit making it.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix and their 10-Grain Cereal. We try to avoid wheat flour as much as possible. These (above) two products are fantastic, but impossible to find locally. I order them on Amazon instead. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime!

• cat_mom
    7 years ago

We ordered Dawn Power Dissolver spray online a while ago--I hope we can still find it when we go through our stash!

Re: fragrance free odor eliminator, Zero Odor (we get it at BB&B) works well and has no perfume-y fragrance. I keep small bottles in each bathroom vanity, and trigger sprayer bottles in the kitchen, garage, and next to our cats' litter box (haven't taught them how to spray it after using the box though! LOL). They sell a Pet odor eliminator version, but I didn't think it worked as well as the original version.

• Anne
    7 years ago

LynnNM ..I noticed Bob's at Big Lots so you might check there. So funny that I recommending discount stores. Was in my 20's before I ever walked into a Kmart! Big Lot is next to DH'a OT appt so I love wondering around there!

• cooper8828
    7 years ago

I also noticed that Bob's is always at Big Lots. That is what I go in for. I'm in southern NM.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

In HS we all used Bonne Bell lip smackers. My favorites were the watermelon, bubblegum, and then Hires Root Beer and Orange Crush!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

Dawn Power Disolver! It was more that dishsoap, but less than oven cleaner.

I loved that stuff so much I would actually go into Walmart to buy it. Imagine my disappointment when I walked in there and it was gone.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Another old-school brand we buy is Jergen's bar soap. DH has senstive skin, and this is a brand that works for him. Our supermarkets and drug stores don't seem to carry it anymore, so we do order it from Amazon Prime.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

LynnNM, you can order Bob's directly from their website, and you can get notices of sales and special offers.

Ravencajun, I used to use that stuff too. From what I read (since you posted about it), the Power Dissolver is now called professional strength and sold in a larger bottles -- 32 oz for $19.99 on Amazon. Or you can get a case of 6 bottles for $64. If you were in the Houston area, I'd split a case with you.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Raven -- had to look to see what the epsom salt lotion was -- and was going to suggest that you could figure out how to make your own, but a search on Amazon showed another brand -- Dr. Teal's in a tub. I've seen that brand in stores too so you might find it or be able to request a store order it.

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Yardley English Lavender bar soap. I can still find it in a few places but usually order it from Amazon for convenience. Usually I use shower gel but occasionally I like to use this because it just smells and feels so good.

Handiwipes! I had completely forgotten about those. I used those a long time ago and may have to give them a try again. And yes, Febreeze was so much better when it was unscented. There are only 1-2 scents I can tolerate.

Re the Dawn Power Dissolver, there used to be a Degreaser (had the name in the product) made by some company that was the best. Seems like it was sold by one of those companies that sold stuff out of catalogs, like Avon. Does anyone remember that? It was good stuff iirc but was the only thing I would order from that company. Maybe Stanley now that I'm writing this?

• terezosa / terriks
    7 years ago

I see the Yardley English Lavender soap quite often at the Dollar Tree store. I noticed it there because it's the soap that my grandmother used. I used to buy it for her for her birthday.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Outside, you'll appreciate this little story. DS2 stayed the night here a few nights a week ago. In his bathroom I had 1 bottle of liquid hand soap that was close to getting empty, but still enough to use, next to the sink. The full bottle behind it was E.L hand soap. I went in there to clean and saw he had put the E.L. soap in the front. I switched it back. Came in there later and he did it again! I think he likes E.L. :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Are you all old enough to remember the Twiggy days? That's when English Lavender became popular here in America. Or it did with my group of friends. We thought we were so cool.

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Oh yes! I guess maybe that's why I still love English Lavender so much. It's one of the few fragrances I can truly appreciate with hand soap and things like that. Hey, Oakley, we WERE totally cool! And that's a great story about your DS2. I'll have to check our Dollar Tree, Terriks. I can also find it at CVS when I happen to run in there, and sometimes at a couple of other places. Walgreens may be another.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Yeah, I think English Lavender goes way back. It's a pleasant fragrance I've always liked. I recently got it in a bubble bath from Whole Foods. Think I got it in some of their bath salts too.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

My Dirt Devil canister vacuum bags. The thing still works fine after at least 35 years of life, and I got a huge stash of the discontinued bags off eBay. The vacuum is a hand me down from Mom.

• localeater
    7 years ago

Citra-solv concentrate. It is my cleaner of choice. When Used it I grab 3-4 bottles which last years.

• Lyban zone 4
    7 years ago

Oakley,

do the handi wipes have any product in them or are they dry.

thanks.

• Lyban zone 4
    7 years ago

One more question, how do they differ from the j-cloths we use to use.

• rich69b
    7 years ago

Lowes sell Handi wipes, really cheap! 36 count for $6 something.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Handi wipes have no product in them. I've used other brands and hated them. They were either a bit too thick where they were hard to rinse out, or made too cheap and they fell apart

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

Oakley, I so remember Twiggy days, do you remember Mary Quant products, eye makeup I think.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Oh, yes - I remember Mary Quant products. Remember Jean Shrimpton? She was my model-idol. I think her look somehow seemed more attainable. Yeah right!!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Lascatx I actually am in the Houston area, North Houston. In the flood area still living in the rv in the driveway lol. I am extremely allergic to tea tree oil and for some reason every other brand of Epsom salt lotion has tea tree oil in it including the Dr teals. I did buy that brand of bubble bath because it's the only thing with out tea tree oil and I use it as shower gel. I bought several bottles of the mortons on eBay, much more expensive, but it is worth it when I am up all night with leg cramps and restless leg.

I read reviews of the new version of the Dawn dissolver and it doesn't seem to work as well. That original was great stuff. I would spray my broiler pan with it and all the cooked on gunk would come right off.

I actually spoke with a very nice lady at mortons about the Epsom salt lotion and she said they decided to quit making it. I told her that was a shame because so many of us depended on it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

To eliminate odors, I use Odors Away. Comes in a tiny bottle and you only need to use a couple of drops (really, no more than two or three small drops) in a glass (I use an antique salt cellar) or ceramic dish to clear an entire room. One bottle actually lasts me for years! I use it in the kitchen after cooking fish or something that leaves a less than delightful aroma. Almost time to reorder on Amazon Smile. No scent to the stuff really-slight odor right at first, but gone within seconds. I can't stand the smells of room deodorizers or sprays!

• Bunny
    7 years ago

On a recent jeans quest I found a pair I love at the Gap. I'd been thinking I ought to buy another pair. This morning I read that my local Gap store has just closed!! So I immediately ordered a pair online. Pants are kind of a crap shoot fit-wise, even the same size/brand/style, but free return, so it's risk-free.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Raven, I'm sorry to hear you were flooded. At least you have the RV -- I guess. You and I may be pretty close then. I am also north of Houston and near some areas that flooded --though there were a lot of areas that did, so maybe not. How is the recovery coming along?

Have you tried to research making your own lotion or cream? You might be able to dissolve the epsom salts and blend them into a lotion or cream you know you can use. So many people make soaps and scrubs to sell at markets and on etsy. You might also talk to them and see if you could get them to try coming up with something without tea tree oil (I suspect it or eucalyptus are used for the warming properties to enhance relaxation -- if you aren't allergic to it). You could offer to test and help market if they come up wth something you like. Or you could do it and develop a side business. I have a cream I was going to suggest, but I looked -- also have tea tree oil.

I decided to try a bottle of the Dawn stuff. I have a bottle that is nearly empty and was placing an Amazon order. If I am happy with it, I will let you know and maybe then we can think about splitting a case (even if I love the stuff I am reluctant to have 6 bottles at a time).

• Jane
    7 years ago

I'm lost without chore boys golden fleece. I ordered a lifetime supply on amazon.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Sounds like a plan! I don't have room right now but once I get back in the house, hopefully before winter! I will have room for it, if you think it's close to the original I will definitely be interested. I miss that stuff. I did read online how to make a version of the Epsom salt lotion. I have a good stock now but some day I may try it. If you know where Ravenaux is I am not far there. So many areas flooded this time that never did before.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I do. You are actually closer to the house my sister and her future ex will be selling. They didn't flood, but rising water wasn't that far from her. I am further north and east a bit (on the other side of the creek). My son is working at a restaurant on Kuykendahl and would not have been able to get there back then. I'd never seen anything like that and I grew up here.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz