SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjb84

Opinions on Diamond Prelude TrueColor and layout

kjb84
7 years ago

I'm in the process of getting cabinet bids for our 11 x 14 kitchen. We live in a nice but modest area and don't want to over-improve. Our budget for a total remodel that does not modify the footprint whatsoever is $30K. We plan to use a painted shaker-style cabinet with very simple crown moulding, and most likely solid surface counter tops.

I met with a kitchen designer at Lowe's who came up with a layout that we like - it is the same general layout with some specific modifications for functionality. I went to Lowe's to look at KraftMaid and Schuler. He steered me in the direction of Diamond, and suggested the Diamond Prelude TrueColor. I realize that these are particleboard, and though I would prefer an all-wood construction, I think that the lower-end cabinets are just fine in our area.

Our quote came in around $12K, all told. This does not include an upgrade to plywood, soft close drawers, or anything like that. I wanted to crowd source opinions on this particular line of cabinet, and ask what else I ought to consider.

I will definitely price out IKEA once I can get their kitchen planner to load and work.
Here's the birds-eye layout - the area to the left of the fridge is going to be a table/counter with 4 drawers. It's the best we could do to still have some seating (a priority to my husband) and not let the space go to waste. We have two entry openings, and in the corner, we have a very large and tall pantry cabinet.

Thanks in advance for your insight, GW!

Comments (6)