SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamecock43

White with cocoa glaze or ivory with cocoa glaze?

gamecock43
13 years ago

Hey guys, I bought a historic 1900's row house and I've been renovating about 4 months now. We're still in studs but Sheetrock is expected to go up next week when we finish inspections.

Until yesterday we thought we were getting an ikea kitchen. The closest ikea is 4 hrs away in Atlanta but our GC has an ikea kitchen as do another friend of ours. Our budget is limited b/c of structural issues that came up unexpectedly.

It took me a looonng time to get on board with ikea kitchen b/c I had many preconceived notions about the quality. So 2days ago we make the trek to atl to pick out a kitchen. No one would help us and the salesperson just kept telling us to do it ourselves. I expected that from reading about ikea but my husband was furious. He Said that he was not going to give a store $4000 and risk that everything would fit. He's not a kitchen designer and how can he be expected to get this right on one try.

We walked out shortly after walking in. I was in tears.

So we went directly to lowes. They designed a kitchen for us using diamond prelude cabinets and the total cost for the cabinets is $3800 including shipping and tax. We are very happy with the price.

Now before we place the order I wanted to take a day to research diamond prelude cabinets and sleep on the design. I can't find any reviews of the prelude brand of diamond cabinets, but diamond overall seems to be a solid brand.

I picked out ivory with cocoa glaze...but now I'm wondering if I should get white with cocoa glaze. Does the ivory look dirty? We are going to get butcher block countertops. We want to ask our carpenter to make us countertops out of heart pine flooring we have left over (think dark color). But if that's not an option thence will order ikea countertops and that's a very blonde wood color.

So, any opinions? We will have stainless appliances. Ivory or white? Diamond prelude a good brand?

Thanks in advance and merry Xmas.

Comments (19)

• friedajune
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You many not want to hear this, but I would get no glaze. IMHO, glaze is only done well by the high-end cabinet companies, and not at the price point of your cabinets. I would forego the glaze, save the upcharge for it to be spent elsewhere in your kitchen.

Are your cabinets framed or frameless? This is an important question if your kitchen has any space constraints.

Before you give the go-ahead to Lowe's, I would post your kitchen design here. There are many people here that are really great at design. You mentioned taking "a day" before placing the order. Most people take several weeks to tinker with the design and finalize their choices. There are often posts from people regretting going ahead to fast without spending more time on it. Do you have a deadline of some sort?

My experience at Lowe's was that they rely so heavily on the computer software, they don't really think how a kitchen should "work". Furthermore, be careful of them using a lot of filler. Computer software often opts for filler to make the space work rather than actual kitchen design.

• Related Discussions

Anyone with KraftMaid in canvas with cocoa glaze?

Q

Comments (36)
    I've just ordered the canvas with cocoa glazing and have gone through at least 8 different counter top choices and am starting over! I cannot find anything I like. Viatera Royal Teak looked GREAT with the cabinets, but too busy and outdated said one. Plus I have one wall of bricks which is really hard to find something to look good with that and faux colored walls?! Anyone? anyone? Nancy Jara - I was told to go for the all plywood cabinets.
    ...See More

Canvas: With Cocoa Glaze or not???

Q

Comments (7)
    In my opinion, no to glaze. The praline island will warm up your kitchen enough, and if you wanted to glaze, that is where I would do it on the wood. All the white cabinets I saw with glaze (especially from Kraftmaid) looked dirty and inconsistent. If you do the glaze make sure you look carefully at some samples to see what you will have, especially where it goops in the corners.
    ...See More

Need examples of black or chocolate glaze over white cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    Here are a few glazed images. And a few links from GW. ~boxer Media Pocket My kitchen Blog Woodworking Network cappaccino Glaze on Maple Bene Kitchen BS Moore renovations Elegant Kitchen cabinets Marmin stone Co. New Venetian Gold Granite http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0111215919581.html White with cocoa glaze or ivory with cocoa glaze? http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg121002109540.html White cabinets w/ brown glaze: countertop, etc. suggestions?http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0111215919581.html From Mpeg 08 http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1013082523987.html Mrs. Andrews 08 http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg071624012734.html Here is a link that might be useful: Can anyone show me creamy or ivory cabinets with glaze?
    ...See More

Canvas with cocoa glaze touchup paint?

Q

Comments (2)
    You should get a touch up kit with every order that contains a sink base. I always order extra, just in case. If you can't find yours, contact your dealer to order another one. It's only about $15 or so.
    ...See More
  • formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

O.T.
    Hermajesty, this is a royal looking kitchen. The browns soften the whites nicely. Good classy work! Send your trim finisher my way as soon as he's done at your place.

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

Oh you're a sweetheart Florantha! That trim finishing guy is DH. That window is still not trimed out......but ALL the rest of the house (including inside of all closets) have new baseboard, new interior six panel doors and trim. He's driving me bonkers! I'm gonna go pack him up right now! OK maybe tomorrow since it IS Christmas, LOL!

• gamecock43
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanksguys. I knew u guys know what your talking about. The glazing is free through a promotional offer. Along with a free sink cabinet and soft close drawer things. I'm not much of a cook, I guess that's why I have not worried about it much.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am not a huge fan of glazing on light cabs. They tend to look a little dirty to me in many cases, but not all.

I do hope you send an email or make a phone call to IKEA. I have had great experiences with the employees there, but sometimes there is a wait. I try to go at off peak times. There is no excuse for someone being rude to you, no matter how busy they are. I bet they would like to know if that is happening. One employee can really leave a bad taste to many people, so they often appreciate being informed. You never know what they may do for you in return.
    It also helps to have a layout on the kitchen planner which you can do from home. That way you walk in with a game plan and get help with the tweaking. It also helps you to play around in 3D to get a real feel for the space.

• gamecock43
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My husband and I were waiting for ikea to open and we were the first to arrive in the kitchen section. I don't think the worker was rude to us I think my husband was rude to him! I understand that ikea does not have salespeople on hand to help you, but my husband didn't. I can see his point, it's too risky to do it yourself when you are gambling with that kind of money. It's not like a chair that you can really visualize in your home.

Anyways, I have spent all day online looking at kitchens and ruled out ivory. I think it's too risky b/c with a lower end cabinet your not sure if it will look beige or yellow...and since we do not yet have Sheetrock up, lights properly working, or window treatments...it's too hard to judge how the cabinet will look in the finished space.

Plus our window and crown molding will be white...I don't want it to contrast with ivory cabinets.

I have always loved white anyways. Now to glaze or not. I'm leaning towards yes, glazing. It's a free upgrade and I love the antique distressed look. I'm just worried about the glazing looking bad b/c it's a low end cabinet.

Can anyone post pics of BAD glazing jobs so I can see what I am risking?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Your husband may have been testy, but the people in the kitchen section usually help out and I have never been told to do it myself. They have been patient and walked me through everything. They tweaked my plan in little but important ways. They sat with me at the time of the order as well and were extremely thorough. It is not self serve in the IKEA kitchen dept, even if it is elsewhere in the store. It may just be that you caught the guy before he was set up for the day and could have been too early. He should have suggested you browse for a few minutes while he gets ready to help you. At minimum, you should not have felt left on your own and like you were not going to get guidance.

I also think white is easier because ivory or off white can be hard to match with. The further off white you go the more variation in tone you can find.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I too agree with no glaze. So many people are not happy with the outcome, even in higher end. IMHO if you had a friend who has a kitchen with exactly what you want, and you can order exactly what they have, then I would do it. But, to take a chance....I am thinking that white can be stark. Are you talking creamy white? Big differences in the whites and also how much light you get in your own kitchen. (My Dove White appears very white in my kitchen with all the natural light. Not so in the showroom, as it turns out didn't realize very low natural light.) Yes, put your layout on here. A neighbor has Lowes in a dark wood. They look nice, but my husband did notice the filler pieces. She did not do granite, which I think would have upgraded the kitchen. But all in all she is happy with it and it looks nice.
    Also, why not try to match the molding to the cabinetry? As I mentioned, there are so many whites. We matched molding and trim to and used Dove White throughout the kitchen.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Is this a good example of the kind of house you are talking about?

And are you targeting cabs that will look original to the house? I tend to lean more towards a white raised panel door for this house. Here's Diamond's Sterling door style in Amaretto Cream:

{{gwi:1986173}}

But that's just my opinion. Both could be very pretty, but one might be more suited than another in your space, depending on you're overall design. Without knowing what look you're targeting, it's hard to say.

(I find it funny that some complain about glazing making cabs look dirty, because that is, in fact, why glaze is applied in the first place -- to mimic the look of old, worn wood, wood that looks that way because, through the years, dirt has settled into those recesses and was never cleaned out. So, pardon me, but *DUH!* *That* is the point!)

As for your experience with IKEA, it sounds to me like you just had a run-in with a bad employee or even a poorly managed store. Too many GW'ers love their IKEA kitchens for it to be a company-wide problem. I suggest you write a letter of complaint or go online and see if there's a form you can fill out. I suspect the higher-ups would be disturbed by the fact that a $4,000 sale just walked out the door.

Back to Diamond cabs, when I was shopping cabs and spent some time with a KD at Lowe's, she was hesitant to discuss Diamond with us because they'd had "quality control problems" with them. I have no other information, so I'd just suggest that you carefully research them. That said, keep in mind that probably *every* cab line has dissatisfied customers who are very willing to post their grievances in online forums. Just because they had a bad experience does not mean that you will. A lot is dependent upon the skill of the individual installer.

• gamecock43
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone.I just finished up at home depot today (due to holiday...I had to wait 2days for a second option), but the holiday gave me time to reflect. sO I went to home depot with a lot of requests. She gave me a thomasville layout in linden style door (square with some detail) in toasted almond. The layout has 3 cabinets added (thanks to research over the last 2days) for $4100.oo including shipping and tax. I like the color and door style better. Just not hooked on the layout. When I get access to a scanner I will show the layout. I love the color, just the price is out of my comfort zone. I wish there were more incentives. She initially gave me an American Woodwork estimate but I was not loving the color choice available, so she did a toasted almond thomasville estimate (which I was immediately drawn to) and it ended up about $100 cheaper. I'm not sure why she immediately drew me to American Woodwork when it was not the cheapest brand. So far thomasville is in the running, I would just love to shave about $200 off the deal to feel like it's really in my comfort zone.

And someone asked me about the crown molding, I meant crownmoulding just below the ceiling (we have 14 ft ceilings) not on the cabinets themselves. I am worried the molding at the ceiling level won't match the cabinets. But we determined we will paint it.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Have you tried locating Shrock cabinets locally? They were the exact same colors/doors that HD offered me with Thomasville. I found a local dealer who priced out the same layout w/Shrock and he was about 15% lower than HD.

• gamecock43
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! There are 2 listing for schlock cabinets in my area. I will check them out tomorrow.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Try ebay for HD coupons. You can also ask directly for a discount from a manager. I have done that in the past for good size orders and they often shave 10% off. You can also ask if they have a promotion coming up ....
    Explain that you really like the cabs, but it is a little out of your price range and then be quiet (the hard part). Make sure it is a manager/supervisor so that they have decision making ability. It can't hurt to try.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

btw - those of us who object to glazing on light cabs looking dirty object to the whole concept of trying to look dirty.
    I "get" the distressed look on things, but the "dirty" look is just not my cup of tea.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

(I find it funny that some complain about glazing making cabs look dirty, because that is, in fact, why glaze is applied in the first place -- to mimic the look of old, worn wood, wood that looks that way because, through the years, dirt has settled into those recesses and was never cleaned out. So, pardon me, but *DUH!* *That* is the point!)

Ew, after reading that I dislike it even more, LOL. Actually I dislike fake aging and distressing of any kind.

Be forewarned that a nice light glaze on the sample can result in cabinets that look like someone took a sharpie to the crevices, as another poster discovered earlier this year.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Gamecock43,
    If you love Glazed, get it. Offering glaze for free is only
    free if you really want it. Visit a few more cabinet makers
    and get a feel for what makes your heart sing. Get what you
    love and you will be able to negogiate a free something or
    a discount. In fact start thinking about free upgraded
    plywood drawers.

You are so wise to check out the options for yourself. I am
    not an IKEA fan. Oh dear, I just unleashed the hounds who
    love IKEA. IKEA looks beautiful and IKEA is rated high in
    consumers reports but like your husband I have found the
    service to be unhelpful. The warehoue mentality. If you
    are close to an IKEA (I am not) you can get exactly what
    you want IKEA can be awesome. I truly believe your husband
    was not ill tempered or even the cause of the poor service
    at IKEA. I have felt the poor service and I consider
    myself to be a kind person so assume others will be too.
    Not the case for my DH and I at IKEA.

I urge people to look for a cabinet maker or woodworker
    who can help you make any brand cabinets look great in
    your space. Someone to make the trim, edges and
    help fit those cabinets into a space to make a kitchen.

Crystal cabs are my favorite but next for me Thomasville,
    Kraftmade, Yorktowne, Schuler or Medallion ( I think are the same company),
    ...In time you will find the ones you like.

Oh here is a quick post from GW
    Glaze and Thomasville by Kpaquette
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0313103320923.html

AKChicago gave super advice.
    POST your floor plan here. Let the gurus at GW help you
    make your space functional, beautiful and exactly what
    you want. I truly believe GW has helped 1000s on their
    kitchens.

A few interesting links to help you on your way...

Reality check--cabinet prices per linear foot?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1209113023064.html

Beautiful glazed Kraftmade cabs
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg071624012734.html

Show me your cream glazed cabinets GW
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0214201222913.html

And some nice glaze looks if this is truly what you love.
    ~boxerpups

Natural Roca Wilsonart counter top

Chadelier

Luxury Kitchens NH

presea CDX Kitchens

AZ Kitchens

Fivestar faux painting

Fabulous Finishes Co.

Kinley Cabinets

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet comparisons GW

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I think that contrasting glazing on painted cupboards is no longer faux anything. It's become a paint effect for the sake of paint effect, with the primary purpose of showing off the variations in planes on decorative cabinet faces. Although we see it primarily on "traditional" style cabs with many planes or beading or whatever, we also see it om plainer styles occasionally. I do think it would be ironic to find it in a house that has a lot of modern features, but I don't think that glazing should be interpreted as simulating old dirt. More like the intentional darkening that you find on repousse silver pieces to highlight the embossed areas or like contrasting piping on the edges of upholstered pieces that plays up the lines of the piece. Remember decoupage effects? Remember shabby chic? Same diff.

Glazing is definitely an acquired taste, but then, so is the lust for a chandelier or the love of quartersawn oak.

• tom_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I know this post is a little old, but for others looking, here are a few things to think about.

IKEA- I think they still require you to assemble your cabinets. They used to come in a flat box. This might have changed.

Diamond Prelude - This is just a Lowe's branded name. They are made by Homecrest. They are well build and have similar characteristics of mid to high lever cabinets. 3/4" dovetail drawerbox, All Plywood options. Solid wood door options, Bracing to keep the cabinet square in shipping.

Thomasville, Diamond, Schrock are all the same product, just sold under different names in different stores. Similar quality to Kraftmaid and Homecrest (Prelude)

Glazing- To simplify this, there are two ways to glaze cabinets. Targeted. This means they only apply the glaze in a selected (or targeted) area. It might be applied by spray, or by hand. A more consistent look
    The other way is to "Flood" the door with glaze, then wipe off the excess. This is the most realistic look. But keep in mind, these are new cabinets, that they are trying to get to look "worn" or "aged"